PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Problem

willbry
31-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a new Verbatim 120 Gig 2.5 portable external hard drive which comes with a "Y" cable with a USB connection at the end of each arm. It works satisfactorily using one of the arm connections plugged into my Toshiba laptop. but it will not register at all when plugged into my desk top, although the blue pilot light shines.I have looked in My Computer, diskmgnt.msc and device manger but no joy. My Pc will just not recognise it. One would immediately assume that if it operates on the lappy but not on the PC, that there is a USB connection problem but not so, because the USB ports on the desk top all recognise other devices such as various pen drives etc and function perfectly with them.
I don't know why the Verbatim has a Y connection but as well as trying a single connection, I also tried plugging both USB connections into two ports at the same time thinking it might provide extra grunt but whether using one or both arms it still won't boot up. Both the lappy and the desktop are using XP so there is no OS conflict. Any suggestions?

DeSade
31-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I am not sure about the USB thing but the Y plug is meant to be used to provide enough power to run the drive from USB without a external power source.

SolMiester
31-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a new Verbatim 120 Gig 2.5 portable external hard drive which comes with a "Y" cable with a USB connection at the end of each arm. It works satisfactorily using one of the arm connections plugged into my Toshiba laptop. but it will not register at all when plugged into my desk top, although the blue pilot light shines.I have looked in My Computer, diskmgnt.msc and device manger but no joy. My Pc will just not recognise it. One would immediately assume that if it operates on the lappy but not on the PC, that there is a USB connection problem but not so, because the USB ports on the desk top all recognise other devices such as various pen drives etc and function perfectly with them.
I don't know why the Verbatim has a Y connection but as well as trying a single connection, I also tried plugging both USB connections into two ports at the same time thinking it might provide extra grunt but whether using one or both arms it still won't boot up. Both the lappy and the desktop are using XP so there is no OS conflict. Any suggestions?

Is the device powered by the USB port, or does it have external power source?...

I have come across this before, if the USB port is either faulty or ONLY USB 1.1. If the lappy is newer it is probably USB 2.0....

Isnt there yet another end to the cable, try plugging that into yet another USB port to give more power...

SolMiester
31-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I am not sure about the USB thing but the Y plug is meant to be used to provide enough power to run the drive from USB without a external power source.

Ooh....yes think your right..

willbry
31-10-2008, 03:59 PM
No it doesn't need an external power supply. The PC is fairly new and has the latest USB 2.0 connectivity. Even trying both connections at the same time won't power it up. But I can't take it back as it obviously works with the lappy so it looks as though a must laboriouslly transfer data from the PC to the lappy via pen drives or CD. Thanks anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2008, 04:10 PM
What service pack is on it?

Try going to device manager and deleting all the entries under USB controllers, and reboot

willbry
31-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks Speedy. It has SP3 .
I have the following in D/Manager:
1. Generic USB Hub 2. Standard Enhanced PC to USB Host Controller
3. Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller 4. USB Primary Support
5 USB Root Hub 6 USB Root Hub
Do you want me to disable the lot ? If I do will there be any effect on other current connections such as my scanner and printer and the use of other temporary devices like pendrives? Or will everything still operate?

gary67
31-10-2008, 05:17 PM
As soon as you reboot they will all come back from my understanding, but check with someone else here if unsure

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Delete dont disable them, or they'll never work. Then reboot, they'll come back

josh2200
31-10-2008, 05:36 PM
You need to use both plugs on the ''Y'' Cable.As one is for power and the other is for power and data.

seltsam
31-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I had the same problem. In the end it was a USB hub not being able to supply enough power. I managed to get it going with one plug going directly into the PC, while the other hooks into a hub.

gary67
31-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Step son could not get new camera to show on his laptop so I unplugged it from his 4 port usb hub and plugged it into the lappie direct and suddenly there it was

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Yup, not everything likes being plugged into a USB hub. Which is pretty stupid.

Thats the point in getting one

willbry
31-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks Speedy and Seltsam. Before deleting all the USB controllers I think I know what the answer is from the repliesI. I've been putting both connections into a 4 port hub instead of separate USB connections. I suppose when you think about it, it makes sense, If you use a hub, all the power is still being chanelled into the one source. thanks a lot guys.
willbry

willbry
31-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Bingo ! Have just tried both connections into separate USB slots and it works. Using the hub was my downfall. Thanks everybody who contributed. Another successful outcome. How would we survive without F1?