PDA

View Full Version : NetworkSolutions.com Spam?

Billy T
31-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Team

I have a .co.nz domain name registered in NZ and I think, (if that is how it all works) hosted by Orcon. I know I had to contact the NZ registry to formally transfer it to Orcon when the previous private host closed down their server.

This morning I received the following email, and Googling NetworkSolutions produces a heap of stuff that indicated that there is a legit company out there of that name. There appear to be two versions of the name though "NetworkSolutions" and "Network Solutions".

Problem is, I have had no dealings with them and I have received no prior email as the message claims to have been sent. I propose to simply ignore this as my domain name is specific to my company, is of zero value to anybody else, and I am pretty sure that they can't claim a .co.nz address anyway.

I haven't downloaded the email as yet, I have simply read it off the mailserver via MailWasher and I have checked all the headers etc and there doesn't seem to be any hidden payload present so perhaps it is a simple soliciting spam, or maybe they want my domain name so they can add it to their list of names to rip off.

Any comment or advice, and is there a formal renewal period?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Dear Network Solutions Customer,

We recently notified you that the registration period for your Network Solutions domain name had expired. As a benefit of having previously registered a domain name(s) with Network Solutions, you are eligible to receive a percentage of the net proceeds that were generated from the renewal and transfer of the domain name you chose not to renew. Since you have chosen not to renew the domain name listed below during the applicable grace period, we were successful in securing a backorder for this domain name on your behalf and it has been transferred to another party in accordance with the Service Agreement.

You must click on the following link, enter your domain name, and confirm your contact information in order to claim these funds. If your contact information is not correct, you must enter Account Manager and make the appropriate changes prior to clicking "submit" from the confirmation screen. If you do not do this, you will be confirming inaccurate information and will not receive any payment. Checks will only be made payable and mailed to the Account Holder of record.

Sincerely,

Network SolutionsŽ Customer Support

wainuitech
31-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Could be the same thing I almost fell for - I got an email a few years back regarding re registering my domain name, and it was going to be cheaper than what I currently was paying,
It wasn't till I suddenly remembered I had only confirmed the name a few months earlier that it clicked as to being a scam.

I rang NZ registry and they confirmed it was a scam. I'd suggest you call NZ registry, or who ever you KNOW your domain name is with just to make sure.

Only a phone call and at least you will get the right answer. DONT call NetworkSolutions.:2cents:

somebody
31-10-2008, 10:46 AM
You will notice the domain is odd: networksolutions.com.SYS42.MOBI. Someone's going phishing...

Erayd
31-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Yup, it's spam.

Morgenmuffel
31-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Definitely spam just do a Yahoo for the first line of it brings up a number of warnings like this
(http://www.domainnamenews.com/miscellaneous/warning-network-solutions-phishing-scam/3024)