PDA

View Full Version : Disk Partition in Vista

bk T
30-10-2008, 11:48 PM
My new 500GB HDD is partitioned into: C:\ (100GB) & D:\ (150GB) and I still have 250GB unallocated disk space. When I tried to create another partition E:\ (100GB), the remaining disk space changed to 'free space' rather than 'unallocated' space. Because of this, I could not perform any backup using the built-in Express Recovery utility by Gigabyte MB as this requires certain amount of unallocated space.

Any explanation to the above and how do I change the 'free space' to 'unallocated' space?

Cheers

Jen
31-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Using Disk Management, does your E partition show 100 gigs or near to 250 gigs?

If it has used all the remaining space ie, near 250 gigs, then just create another partition from that and do not format it (leaves it unallocated).

Express Recovery also requires the unallocated space to be in a primary partition, so check that detail as well.

bk T
31-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Using Disk Management, does your E partition show 100 gigs or near to 250 gigs?

If it has used all the remaining space ie, near 250 gigs, then just create another partition from that and do not format it (leaves it unallocated).

Express Recovery also requires the unallocated space to be in a primary partition, so check that detail as well.

My E:\ partition (simple volume) shows 100GB; and the remaining 150GB is 'Free Space'. I got to delete this E: simple volume and then delete the partition in order to change the 'free space' into unallocated space! Somehow, the remaining 250GB is tied together. I'm puzzled.