PDA

View Full Version : wireless security

nodrog
30-10-2008, 08:20 PM
How difficult is it to secure my wireless connection. I am achieving download speeds of around 13.0kbs - 20.0kbs and believe this may be because my wireless connection is being used by someone else. Am I on the right track or not?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Depends what ISP youre with.

If youre with Xnet, thats a possibility, it has been that slow lately

Is it a computer. thats connected to the main PC via wireless??

If you want security, both have to support wireless, and support something like WPA 2+

nodrog
30-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I am with Slingshot on a laptop. I am using the modem supplied by them. I don't know if the wireless connectio is enabled.

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Well at the mo I think Slingshot is just as bad (or worse) than Xnet, for being slow

You would have to go into the router (if youre using a wireless router), to see if wireless is enabled first. Before you try and use the other PC wirelessly.

nodrog
30-10-2008, 09:16 PM
The modem is not wireless. It is the one supplied by slingshot and connected to the phone line.
I agree about the speed thing too. Doing a speed test shows these results,
Download Speed: 2239 kbps (279.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 137 kbps (17.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 73 ms
When I start a download it just winds down and keeps going until it flattens out at 13kbs - 20kbs.
I thought maybe somebody is connecting via wireless to my laptop and using my slingshot connection. Could that happen?

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Does the laptop have wireless / WI-FI onboard then??

If it does, it maybe possible for someone to use it

Disable it, if its onboard.

But if the laptop doesnt have wireless onboard, and youre not using some kind of wireless adapter, then no, noone can use the wireless.

Because there is no wireless.

Thats exactly what Xnet does sometimes lol. Goes over 100/200+ and then go backwards !