PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor HDD - Click of death! ... What now?

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an Acer PC with a Maxtor 40GB IDE hard drive that has a major mechanical fault. It makes major clicking noises and the drive is not recognized by any environment I put it in. So, if my client REALLY needs the data from this drive, what options can I advise them on? Forensics?

Cheers :thumbs:

P.S I've yet to ask them to provide me with backups! I can just imagine their response.....

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Well if nothing can detect it, I doubt forensics will do anything either

Unless someone pulls it to bits

Or do the hdd in the freezer trick

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 12:47 PM
What's the freezer trick?

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Put it in a bag, chuck it in the freezer or something

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Just looked on the internet for the freezing option. Apparently a couple of hours in a zip-locked bag may give me enough time to recover some data. I'll give it a try....

wainuitech
30-10-2008, 01:15 PM
That freezer trick may work - done it a couple of times when drives failed like you mention - BUT I leave them over Night.
Pull them out and quickly attach to a working PC as slaves, if you are lucky the drive will read long enough to get the important data off - before it fails again. You only do that trick on buggered drives because once its been done you get moisture in the drive and its knackered anyway.

Funny Side- dont let the other half know :eek: Once I heard - What you want for dinner - Meat patties, Fish fingers orrrrr Bloody hell whats this in my freezer.:lol:

sroby
30-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Assuming fridge trick doesnt work.....

If money is no object there are options available.
Tell the cust it will be well over $1000++ & see if they still want to proceed (alas, will be true)
It will be expensive ($$thousands), you may not paying on a per hour
basis (just what they want to charge for the service). You may also have to pay in advance.

If the fridge trick works, you want to keep it cool, either with a fan or ice pack in a bag
If you are brave, you could try replacing the heads, see below.
http://myharddrivedied.com/presentations.html

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I've read that most of the time it works for a short amount of time when removed from freezer. I have placed the hard drive in a sealed zip-locked bag and put it in a freezer at a bakery next door to us. I will collect at about 3.30pm to test as that's when they go home for the day.

If it works for a bit and craps out, would I be able to freeze it again??

beeswax34
30-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I've read that most of the time it works for a short amount of time when removed from freezer. I have placed the hard drive in a sealed zip-locked bag and put it in a freezer at a bakery next door to us. I will collect at about 3.30pm to test as that's when they go home for the day.

If it works for a bit and craps out, would I be able to freeze it again??

No, not really. As people have mentioned above, its a one-time only thing because of the moisture that will get into the drive. After the moisture has settled, its pretty much game over.

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Cheers for that. Will let you guys know how I get on.....

wainuitech
30-10-2008, 03:54 PM
If you want to know what the recovery experts charge for have a look at This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA28zXo5e6I&NR=1) on youtube - a bit light hearted but its also very serious and correct - drives can and DO fail with out any warning, doesn't matter how old they are, 1 hour or 10 years all drive will fail at some time. Old story - is your data backed up ?

GR8Metal
30-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks wainuitech, that's quite and interesting clip!