PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi all, I am, or should I say the boss is in the market for another wireless K & M setup. Now he has had a couple previously and we would like to try get it right this time.
Hard thing about buying K & M is they are packaged up and you cant just waltz in and test the keyboard for clicky sounding keys, response, feel etc etc.....

We had had a belkin model, slimline jobby, a bit plasticy, and now faulty. An IBM setup, where the mouse goes to sleep after about 5 sec and you have to click a button to wake it up. He currently uses the Logitech mx3200 and it is quite nice, but year old tech...not to say he wouldnt get another, but, we were wondering if anybody out there has any recommendations.

So, ideally, we like quite keys, nice feel to the key, responses, mouse button options etc, shape...you get the idea..

ta all

pctek
30-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Logitech or MS.
Although I'd never get wireless................

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I like logitech, have the mx3200 @ home....havent tried MS ones though, as I said, you dont get a change to go feel the keyboard if you know what I mean.....

Gobe1
30-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah i agree, i have had two new ones for our boardroom, first one Genius (elcrapppo) keep running flat and took 24 hours to recharge and no battery indicator...
Second one was Microsoft 7000 series, very nice but at $220 it it should be.
Again batteries only last 2 weeks, mouse is rechargable but nobody remembers to leave it on the charging base....duh of course
Keyboard is real nice and customisable

BUT where are the battery indicators??? Even the MS set has a tiny light that is very hard to miss. Doesnt any one have a indicator light or software that will give you 2 hours alarm warning or something.

At home i have a logitech $60 from the warehouse (i think), batterys last 6 months! and it works every time, but range is limited. No battery indicator but battery last long enough not to need it. Never needed drivers, just plug and go.

Corded for me anytime

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi, thanks for your input....I must say, I am leaning towards logitech again....batteries on mine @ home are quite good, 2-3 months on mouse, and my wife gives it a good work out daily on trade-me.....

While moneys probably wont be a consideration here, $499 for MS 's new desktop 8000 would probably be going a bit far, even for the boss who has everything.....

I am looking at the new logitech wave keyboards or maybe the 5500 with bluetooth hub and recharging etc.....

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Well i have a logitech mx5500 its really good lasts a while and very comfortable.
HERE:
http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_161&products_id=3123

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi nugget, looks like we are going to get the 5500.

Can you tell me, the mouse recharger, is that on a cord back to the usb port, I'm a little confused, because it looks like there is a usb (bluetooth) receiver, or does the charger get its power from the bluetooth?

supersi
30-10-2008, 05:23 PM
The Logitech MX Revolution (@ $150.00) is pricey but awesome. It comes with a docking cradle/charger so you never have to replace batteries. The Logitech De Novo keyboard (@ $220.00) is really stylish and features a recharge cradle too, but once again is pretty pricey.
I believe it is backlit AS well as being wireless. Personally I hate wires but if you're a serious gamer avoid wireless kb/mice.

Richard
31-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Logitech or MS.
Although I'd never get wireless................

Why? :confused:

pctek
31-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Why? :confused:

They annoy me.

wainuitech
31-10-2008, 10:02 AM
One thing I hate about wireless KB/Mouse , if any thing goes wrong with the OS, you generally need a wired one to get it going again, as the wireless signal can be the first thing to fail.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I read the other day, that with the right equipment, (there was a vid showing it), wireless (and wired kb's), can also be read by others.

Whatever you type someone will / can see it

SolMiester
31-10-2008, 11:11 AM
They would have to be very close to do that, IR doesnt reach that far....

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Most sites say it can be up to 20m, using a radio antenna

I dont think it has anything to do, whether its wireless or wired. Its to do with electromagnetic radiation, when keys are pressed

pctek
31-10-2008, 01:00 PM
One thing I hate about wireless KB/Mouse , if any thing goes wrong with the OS, you generally need a wired one to get it going again, as the wireless signal can be the first thing to fail.

Yes.

I hate, being at someones place, miles from your equipment, trying to get some b*&^%$ wireless set going when you hadn't expected one in the first place.

Spent ages doing that one day while the owner calmly sat out in the sun sipping his coffee and smoking and enjoying himself. :badpc:

Grrrrrrrrr.

DeSade
31-10-2008, 01:35 PM
You have your fun when you hand over the bill