PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy FlashDrive

Tony
29-10-2008, 05:56 PM
If Windows on 2 separate machines says there is a problem with my flash drive and it can't recognise it, is it basically kaput, or is there any way to revive it?

Jen
29-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Doesn't sound good. What does the error message say?

Tony
29-10-2008, 06:51 PM
"USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED
One of the USB devices attached to this machine has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

It does this in more than one port on more than one machine. The help basically says try it again and if it still doesn't work, replace it - so I'm not optimistic, but I thought it was worth asking the question. :(

Jen
29-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I take it then that you cannot even see the drive under My Computer? If you can, right click on the drive and select properties. Under tools, try checking for errors. Bit of a long shot I'm afraid. :(

Tony
29-10-2008, 09:00 PM
No, totally invisible. I'm pretty resigned to it being dead. Fortunately I didn't have anything on it that wasn't disposable or backed up. Still, it's a PITA having to get another one.:badpc:

Jen
29-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Flash drives (and cards) can die like that. They do have a limited number of "writes". It is something to keep in mind if you use one as your sole backup device.

You can pick up large flash drives for a good price these days. Make sure you don't get an el cheapo brand as it is more likely to be flaky.

Blam
29-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Can you see it in disk management?
Run>diskmgmt.msc

If you can see it there you might be able to format it

Tony
29-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Can you see it in disk management?
Run>diskmgmt.msc

If you can see it there you might be able to format itNo, as I said, totally invisible.

The article in question is a DSE drive. It has lasted quite a while - a couple of years, at least.

Any recommendations for a good brand? I've seen ads for drives with all sorts of fancy features, but I can't see I have a need for any of that. And 2gB will be plenty big enough for me.

Blam
29-10-2008, 09:19 PM
A toshiba microdrive 2gb one was $6.50 at DSE in the weekend.

Sandisk and toshiba's are my fav

beeswax34
30-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Toshiba definitely.