PDA

View Full Version : Is fax by PC free?

kennelly
29-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm gonna to get a fax with PC fax inbuit. Just curious if send fax by PC is free of charge? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Never heard of it

If you use XP, you can add fax software, by going to add/remove programs / add / remove windows components.

Tick fax services, you'll need a faxmodem though

tweak'e
29-10-2008, 09:20 AM
depends on the phone number you dail.

CYaBro
29-10-2008, 09:24 AM
As tweak'e said, it depends on the number that you are sending the fax to, just like a phone call or a normal fax without the PC.
The only thing it is saving you money on is paper as you don't have to print anything out first to fax it.

kennelly
29-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Got your guys. Thanks heaps.

A Team
29-10-2008, 08:08 PM
OK. I take it from that, that if you were able to fax using dialup Internet access (using specific fax software, or sending it to a printer which is a fax and dialed from within Word (usually)), that that doesn't work with Broadband? Is my assumption correct? Cheers

somebody
29-10-2008, 08:31 PM
You could try a service like: www.tpc.int which offers a free PC-fax service thanks to the support of local organisations.

Jen
29-10-2008, 08:37 PM
OK. I take it from that, that if you were able to fax using dialup Internet access (using specific fax software, or sending it to a printer which is a fax and dialed from within Word (usually)), that that doesn't work with Broadband? Is my assumption correct?It would work if you had a fax-modem installed and connected via an ADSL phone filter. Your fax-modem will make a phone call like a regular fax machine does to send the fax.

Renmoo
29-10-2008, 09:14 PM
You could try a service like: www.tpc.int which offers a free PC-fax service thanks to the support of local organisations.
Wow, thanks for the big tip. :D

Agent_24
29-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I think some Fax software can send it through internet like VoIP does with phone calls, or how Email works.

Thus, any kind of connection would work, as long as it was internet.

Renmoo
30-10-2008, 08:07 AM
It would work if you had a fax-modem installed and connected via an ADSL phone filter. Your fax-modem will make a phone call like a regular fax machine does to send the fax.
A note here: Be careful when you configure the fax utility. It can turn your phone line to fax line if you forget to turn it off.

Cheers :)