PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba e-studio 451 copier/printer hangs when printing from Word

echothreezero
29-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi,

we have a new Toshiba e-studio 451 at work. The thing works great most of the time.

When you print, a box appears on your screen asking for a department code with continue and abort buttons. You enter a job-reference which is then reconciled with a pre-entered list inside the printer's memory. If it matches, your print comes out and a print is logged against that job.

It works fine in all applications except Microsoft Word. If you click continue with the mouse after entering the department code, it functions fine. If you are like me and have got used to using the keyboard alot, and simply press enter, Word (and the dialog box) both lock up and require a forced end process.

In other applications (inlcuding other office apps like excel) pressing enter actions "continue" with no lock up.

Toshiba tech support are a total WOFTAM. "Oh, if it does that, just remember to click it then" Nice, so what happens when I forget and the document I was just working on crashes into the ether like yesterday - yes I know - save save save, but I hate redoing work - even if its only 5 mins worth.

Any ideas?

CYaBro
29-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Are you running the latest drivers for the Toshiba?
What version of Word is it? Have you got all the latest service packs for it installed?
Does the same thing happen on more than one computer?

echothreezero
29-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Does not affect two other computers I have tried.

Am running XP Pro SP3 (1 of the other machines that works is XP SP2, and 1 XP SP3)

All machines are using Word 2003 Build 11.8227.8221 SP3 as part of Office 2003 suite.

The machine is using the latest PCL6 driver (v4.5.62)

echothreezero
29-10-2008, 11:59 AM
More info:

Error: Application hang
Category 101
Event id: 1002

Hanging application WINWORD.EXE, version 11.0.8169.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Also get things like:

Fault bucket 452011807.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 12:09 PM
One site says to delete normal.dot (it maybe corrupted)

Close Word / other Office programs.

Then restart it. Normal.dot will be re-created then try again

echothreezero
29-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks, but didn't help.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Double click on the error, if there's a link click on it

It may give you some info, and links on how to fix it

Is Office up to date?

beeswax34
29-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, make sure that the auto-save function in Word is set to 1 min so that even if you dont find a solution to this problem, you'll only lose 1 mins work at most.

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 02:39 PM
It appears to be a problem related to that PC only as you state it works okay with other PC and word.

Have you tried coping the normal.dot from a working PC?. Are the other PC's the same model?, maybe you could image from 1 to the other if you end up wasting too much time trying to resolve the issue.

echothreezero
03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks again for the replies.

Have tried all of the above and still no joy. Imaging another machine and transferring is not really an option. I tmust be some sort of software glitch - finding it is the problem!

SolMiester
03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks again for the replies.

Have tried all of the above and still no joy. Imaging another machine and transferring is not really an option. I tmust be some sort of software glitch - finding it is the problem!

Yes, of course finding the issue is preferable, however sometimes, you can waste hours trying to find the corrupted file.