PDA

View Full Version : Display Driver Stops Working while gaming

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 01:29 AM
I get an error message when i OC my 9800GT 1GB.

Factory Settings: 600/900/1500
OC Settings: anything Higher than that

Right now its on 650/925/1600

In Crysis WARHEAD i used to get 25-27 FPS but with these settings im getting 31-37 FPS and its really good.

I want to know if i am able to get this fixed.

Here is the error message:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" - THE SCREEN GOES BLACK WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF GAMEPLAY AND SHOWS ME THAT MESSAGE AFTER CLOSING DOWN THE GAME.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2008, 07:34 AM
What version of Windows is it?

And what version of the drivers are installed??

According to this site (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229865) this may fix it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194)

If SP1 isnt installed

If you're using Vista, is it up to date, with updates?

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 08:08 AM
I get an error message when i OC my 9800GT 1GB.

Factory Settings: 600/900/1500
OC Settings: anything Higher than that

Right now its on 650/925/1600

In Crysis WARHEAD i used to get 25-27 FPS but with these settings im getting 31-37 FPS and its really good.

I want to know if i am able to get this fixed.

Here is the error message:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" - THE SCREEN GOES BLACK WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF GAMEPLAY AND SHOWS ME THAT MESSAGE AFTER CLOSING DOWN THE GAME.

Therefore, your OC is unable to be cooled enough by the GPU cooler. The card gets too hot and fails, the drivers then stops responding.

FPS is not about max FPS, but average.

If you dont want to cook and ruin your card, I suggest you put the clocks back or get better case airflow.

IMHO, GPU OC'ing has very small returns for the risk. CPU OC'ing isnt as risky as the die's arent as complex.

If you need better FPS, change to DX9, turn off AA or AF or try another resolution.

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I am Running Windows Vista 32bit and got it updated just this morning. And yes its SP1
i am using 178.13 Drivers i think? the one before 178.23

I have tried to put my table fan facing my PC (its side is always open) but it still doesnt work. The GPU's temp seems fine by touching it (none of the programs work in telling me its temp.. not even the Nvidia Control panel). Is there a way for my to increase its threshold in the BIOS?

I am getting better frames running any dx10 game in dx10 mode. dx9 mode seems to be a bit worse (im not complaining :thumbs:) I dont play any games with AA or AF and my resolution is 1680x1050.

Lowering the resolution doesn't seem to change the frame rate either :illogical

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Eh?, are you talking only about crysis? I run it on the system in my sig. Same resolution with a lower end card and I am smooth as butter. Now of course I am on DX9, which means it isnt as taxing as DX10. If you cant see a difference is FPS between the 2 API's......?

What quality settings are you using?...

By the way, leaving the side off your pc isnt always the best way to cool the PC as you remove the vacuum that creates the airflow from entry to exhaust at the rear.

I dont know what you are talking about with threshold?...BIOS flashing is for volt modding or fan adjustments.

The latest drivers are here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_178.24_whql.html), if you are getting drivers stops, i sugest you use a driver cleaner to remove ALL nvidia drivers before re-installing with the latest 178.24 (15/10)

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Ummm no it happens with any other game except steam ones while OC'ed but its the only game that doesn't give me more than 30FPS. LOL and its the ONLY Game that i NEED the FPS for i see all these other guys having their GPU's OC'ed and getting 40FPS out of an 8800GT.

I have everything set to medium EXCEPT texture: High, Shaders: High, Postproccessing: Very High (Gives me sun shafts :banana) It gives me the same FPS as everything set to High. (Looks just as good too)

I did a benchmark using fraps and it said im getting an Average of 37FPS and a minimum of 32FPS and a Maximum of 43FPS.

But it keeps crashing. You wouldnt know where or when just does it.

Thebananamonkey
29-10-2008, 11:26 AM
So it's definitely overheating then. Steam games aren't doing enough to send your cards over the edge because they're graphically quite simple.

Two options. Buy an aftermarket graphics cooler, and hope it works. Or clock it back to stock.

Why on earth would you OC anything without being able to see temps in a reliable way? You could easily completely kill your card, is that worth a few extra fps?

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Yea i guess not. BUT if its overheating you shoudnt be able to put your hand on the card for more than a few seconds. I can keep it there for as long as i want. I dont get it. My XFX 8800GTS 320MB was able to handle 85 Degrees with me increasing the Clocks higher than what they were. I wasnt able to touch it and the temp signal was Green didnt even go orange or red...

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Ummm no it happens with any other game except steam ones while OC'ed but its the only game that doesn't give me more than 30FPS. LOL and its the ONLY Game that i NEED the FPS for i see all these other guys having their GPU's OC'ed and getting 40FPS out of an 8800GT.

I have everything set to medium EXCEPT texture: High, Shaders: High, Postproccessing: Very High (Gives me sun shafts :banana) It gives me the same FPS as everything set to High. (Looks just as good too)

I did a benchmark using fraps and it said im getting an Average of 37FPS and a minimum of 32FPS and a Maximum of 43FPS.

But it keeps crashing. You wouldnt know where or when just does it.

Not in DX10 16x10 I bet.......change the API down to DX9...! You would tell the difference....

Actually, to correct a statement I said before, its not the average sorry, it the min you have to worry about.....Are these FPS during multplayer....as that does change things somewhat...

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Not in DX10 16x10 I bet.......change the API down to DX9...! You would tell the difference....

Actually, to correct a statement I said before, its not the average sorry, it the min you have to worry about.....Are these FPS during multplayer....as that does change things somewhat...

Umm no single player in WARHEAD during any multiplayer its 25-27

And the usual server lag... im not too concerned about multiplayer though.

The thing is dx9 for me is worse... i have no idea why so yea.... it gives me 17FPS on average. (the settings i showed above without Very High Post Processing)

Thebananamonkey
29-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Unrelated, but the word "um" is for filling in space in spoken text.

Why you decide to use it when typing is absolutely beyond me.

Anyway, as you were soldier.

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Umm no single player in WARHEAD during any multiplayer its 25-27

And the usual server lag... im not too concerned about multiplayer though.

The thing is dx9 for me is worse... i have no idea why so yea.... it gives me 17FPS on average. (the settings i showed above without Very High Post Processing)

Well, I dont know why that would be.....crysis is a sh*te game anyway....

I havent tried DX9 in Vista, i dont think it would performance worse than in XP though....

What is concerning is the card crashing in other video intensive games. You have either driver issues or the card is running too hot.

I would try uninstalling the card from device manager, uninstall the drivers via add\remove, reboot into safe, run driver cleaner, reboot and install new drivers.

Bozo
29-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't think that overheating is the main issue here. I have an 8800gtx that idles around 65 degrees, and when OC'd and under load it reaches temperatures of 95-105 degrees. It still runs solidly but when the temperature threashold is reached (106 degrees) it starts lagging as the gfx card starts 'shutting down' and my pc will shutdown several seconds later.

Just out of interest, what tool are you using to OC your gfx card?

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 01:17 PM
The Nvidia Control Panel... Riva tuner doesnt work out too good for me basically when i OC in Nvidia it takes a bit longer than Riva Tuner to give the error message.

Yea mine hasnt reached anywhere near the 90s (guessing). Another thing is i cant seem to change my fan speed. Its been blocked on the control panel???? Im sure all Nvidia cards have their Fans at 30% default. If i can get it to 100% do you think the OC would work? (I dont mind the noise either).

If no one knew the 9800GT is pretty much an 8800GT with 1GB

Unrelated, but the word "um" is for filling in space in spoken text.

Why you decide to use it when typing is absolutely beyond me.

when i use "umm" its usually when im thinking :D

Bozo
29-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I may have missed it, but what brand of gfx card is yours?

If it is an Asus then you can download Smart Doctor (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/ASUS-SmartDoctor.shtml) which does a nice job of monitoring the temperature and fan speed.

almightynugget
29-10-2008, 01:37 PM
its an Inno3D 9800GT 1GB

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 10:25 AM
im really confused with all this happening it hasnt happened with any of my other cards :confused:

I have tried everything.. installed the new drivers and all used driver cleaner... no luck... even if i increase it by 5Mhz it buggers up.

Thebananamonkey
30-10-2008, 10:38 AM
What does that tell you?

Remember that no two chips are the same. They guarantee your card for the specs they come at. Anything else you get is extra. Just cause your friend can get some specs with the same card, it's never a guarantee that you will.

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I see.. so it was just my bad luck with getting this particular card or... could the motherboard cause this aswell by not allowing me to do it?

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 11:37 AM
This card vent the heat inside the case does it not?, I imagine your removing the side cover hasnt helped much as I said you lose vacuum of you airflow.

How many intake and exhaust fans do you have, what case are you using?

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I have a thermaltake MATRIX. 3 fans, in the front bottom (intake), back top (exhaust) and on my CPU....

So should i just keep my case closed?

I just thought of something: what if i flashed my BIOS for the GPU? wouldn't that make it usbale without the errors?

Because while factory Overclocked cards are bought they are flashed right?

What program should i use to flash my bios?

Thebananamonkey
30-10-2008, 12:25 PM
You're getting into high stakes territory right here.

Good luck, but I'm bowing out of this thread, too risky.

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 12:27 PM
You're getting into high stakes territory right here.

Good luck, but I'm bowing out of this thread, too risky.

LOL....I agree....last thing I would do is flash the BIOS......

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 12:31 PM
oh how come?

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi, 1- you void your warranty, 2- get the wrong BIOS and you will turn it into a paper weight, 3- if its a cooling issue, better to get a better coller.

You have the 9800GT right?, not the 9800GTX....the GT is just a 88GT with 1GB vram right, so it is only about 5-10% quicker than my 96GT. While I game on XP DX9, you are on Vista DX10. I havent play crysis for awhile, and while the FPS was ok, there wasnt much room for extra details.....

The problem with your setup, is 1- the case has poor to avg airflow and the card is just making it worse blow its hot air around in the path of the airflow to the exhaust. If you wish to OC that card you will need better\more exhaust fans & better card cooler.....though I'm not sure which 1 to get.
The Inn03d cooler on that is rubbish

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 12:50 PM
So i am able to take off the Inno3D cooler and replace with another one?
And i need another exhaust cooler or a better one right?

Cool im gonna stick with that advice and not flash my bios.

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 12:57 PM
So i am able to take off the Inno3D cooler and replace with another one?
And i need another exhaust cooler or a better one right?

Cool im gonna stick with that advice and not flash my bios.

Why dont you try sell it and get a 4850 or 4870...i think both exhaust out the rear if you get the right model and by the time you get another fan and cooler for the game you will of spent almost as much and there is no guarantee that it will resolve your issue..

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 01:08 PM
ok cool might as well do that. now last question...

how much do you think i can sell it for? i have used it for two and a half months.

SolMiester
30-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Lowest price unit plain jane = $283 on price-spy, so $250-$275 would be fair.....

almightynugget
30-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Sweet thanks A LOT for the help guys:thumbs: guess im getting me another Graphics Card:clap