PDA

View Full Version : Take battery out of laptop

Misty
28-10-2008, 08:03 PM
We have a laptop which we use almost wholly on mains power. When we use it therefore we (almost always) switch on at the wall before we logon.

I understand that the battery only lasts for a certain number of usages. Should we therefore take the battery out frequently .......or does it not matter because we switch on at the wall first and therefore there are no battery "usages" on these occasions ?

Hope that makes sense !
Misty :rolleyes:

Blam
28-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Keep it out, or keep it in but remember to fully discharge it and charge it (without turning it on) at least one a week.

Correct Me if I didn't understand your question correctly:D
Blam

Misty
28-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Keep it out, or keep it in but remember to fully discharge it and charge it (without turning it on) at least one a week.
Blam
Gosh, I haven't been doing that ! Thought that was only on the older type batteries !!
Misty :confused:

stormdragon
28-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes that is generally just for old Ni-CAD's, although it is a good idea to discharge them once in awhile.

If you aren't using the batteries you might as while charge them to about 75%, then remove them until needed.

Misty
28-10-2008, 08:40 PM
If you aren't using the batteries you might as while charge them to about 75%, then remove them until needed.
Okay, thanks stormdragon. Is 75% an optimum figure, or is the reasoning about three/quarters. Will be a bit tricky to work out as will have to pull out the plug to find out how much it is charged. If I pull out, check, then put in again and then repeat would that be detrimental ?
Misty :illogical

Blam
28-10-2008, 08:46 PM
If you have Lithium ion batteries (most new laptops have them), then this (http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2007/10/unlockthis-quicktip-how-to-prolong-your.html)may be of help

blam

Misty
28-10-2008, 08:52 PM
If you have Lithium ion batteries (most new laptops have them), then this (http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2007/10/unlockthis-quicktip-how-to-prolong-your.html)may be of help

blam
Very useful blam !! ----- Scary to think of putting in the fridge ! Think I read something along those lines a while ago (and it left some residual memory traces).
Thanks again
Misty :thumbs: :thumbs:

stormdragon
28-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Believe I've read it somewhere. I know you shouldn't store them fully charged or discharged.