PDA

View Full Version : Laptop purchase.which one?

Winnie
28-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi all, I'm finally going to get a laptop this week..thought I'd checkout dick smith but not sure what brand to get.
I use my pc for small business and the kids will want it for downloading ipod songs etc, general internet browsing, wireless broadband would be good too.
I see DELL have a lap top for $1049 with the following features..
pre loaded genuine windows vista
2GB memory
250GB hard drive
memory upgrade to 3 GB
Are these any good?

What can you recommend

Thanks
Wendy :)

Metla
28-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Only buy a Dell if your comfortable with your only point of contact being someone on the phone 10000km away with English as a second language.

Buy Asus.

Winnie
28-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Only buy a Dell if your comfortable with your only point of contact being someone on the phone 10000km away with English as a second language.

Buy Asus.

ooo thanks for that info...I've thrown it in the bin .. I thought there would be a huge down side to dell!!

SolMiester
28-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi all, I'm finally going to get a laptop this week..thought I'd checkout dick smith but not sure what brand to get.
I use my pc for small business and the kids will want it for downloading ipod songs etc, general internet browsing, wireless broadband would be good too.
I see DELL have a lap top for $1049 with the following features..
pre loaded genuine windows vista
2GB memory
250GB hard drive
memory upgrade to 3 GB
Are these any good?

What can you recommend

Thanks

Oho....thats a big mistake.....give them their own...you dont want downloaded ipod songs on your business pc....!

Trust me...

wratterus
28-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Oho....thats a big mistake.....give them their own...you dont want downloaded ipod songs on your business pc....!

Trust me...

x2

Find the kids something 2nd hand off TM with XP and plenty of HDD space, and give it heaps of security software. :) Then get a nice new Asus or Toshiba for your new business machine. You'll thank yourself over and over after paying the bill.

Winnie
28-10-2008, 05:00 PM
OOOooooooooo really?

Son has an XP that he can download stuff with :clap

So any advice on the laptop front or maybe i should still with a desk top after all....

PENTIUM
28-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Brand name is no longer a reliable indication of quality.
In my limited experience it seems Toshiba ought to do what you want but check around, they can be had at varying prices for the same model. Perhaps best avoid the cheapened down version with the Celeron processor and seek one with a Centrino dual processor.

Winnie
28-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I saw a toshiba pro- L300 today for 1299.00 (at a rural store..cheaper in the city i'm sure) it has dual-core CPU - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD - DVD/CD WRITER -MULIT CARD READER - 56 MODEM -WiFi CAPABLE MZ XP PRO PRELOADED
Oh and a $150 cashback by redemption offer (what does that mean?)

I don't know much about computers but does this seem like a good one?

Wendy

Winnie
28-10-2008, 05:46 PM
so can you help this old bag (well not that old , just not PC savy) with a good decision?

Wendy

stormdragon
28-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I saw a toshiba pro- L300 today for 1299.00 (at a rural store..cheaper in the city i'm sure) it has dual-core CPU - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD - DVD/CD WRITER -MULIT CARD READER - 56 MODEM -WiFi CAPABLE MZ XP PRO PRELOADED

Wendy

Just over $930 (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKTOS9096B) here in Auckland other places have similar prices. Quite good laptops for the price imo

Metla
28-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Just over $930 (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKTOS9096B) here in Auckland other places have similar prices. Quite good laptops for the price imo

Nice.:thumbs:

Winnie
28-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Hmmm I see that price elsewhere too ..will go out of town to buy it .. I guess I could order online too.

Wendy

Metla
28-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmmm I see that price elsewhere too ..will go out of town to buy it .. I guess I could order online too.

Wendy

There can be advantages of buying locally, Though not always.Where you at?

Winnie
28-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Ooo yes I see there is quite a price difference...will go out of town or buy online

thanks

Wendy

SolMiester
28-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Wendy

nothing wrong with those specs

Winnie
28-10-2008, 08:48 PM
There can be advantages of buying locally, Though not always.Where you at?

Whitianga metla

Winnie
28-10-2008, 08:50 PM
the funny thing is I had a choice of two lap tops ...
compaq presario C792vu $999 OR Toshiba and thats the only choice we have here LoL...but I"m going to Thames this week so will suss some out over there.
I want a good laptop and will spend up to two thous if I have to.

Metla
28-10-2008, 08:50 PM
ah, Not familiar with the area so can't vouch for any local companies.

Though I do believe you have the worlds most expensive net cafe.

Winnie
28-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Probably do,it's a beach town , everything is expensive! It's on coromandel Peninsula , they blame it on transport costs but we are so over that excuse !

Metla
28-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I was there a couple of years back on holiday, My darling wife made me leave the laptop at home, suffering massive withdrawal I scoped out a place offering internet use for about $8 per ten minutes.

Couldn't handle that, I went to the counter and asked if I looked Asian, They had no idea what I was getting at, then I asked if the BIG yacht parked on the water was theirs, Got a funny look so went back to the motel and sulked.

Muhahahahhahaha.

Winnie
29-10-2008, 04:52 PM
hey there....whats this laptop like?
Is refurbished second hand and buying problems?

link...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/Toshiba/auction-183381218.htm

Am i allowed to put links on???????:eek:

Winnie
29-10-2008, 04:55 PM
or this one..http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/Toshiba/auction-184178120.htm

I hope I"m not a pest??

SolMiester
29-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Both look great, the 1st has a dedicated graphic card for gaming, so if that's not you the 2nd in fine.

Refurbished or returned is a laptop that has been returned due to a fault, or wasn't what the purchase quote was for, so it could of been faulty but now fixed, or nothing wrong at all.

Good for you as you get more functionally for less money if you are prepared to accept the shorter warranty.

They are both Toshiba, aa know good laptop manufacturer

pctek
29-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Well for that amount of money I sure wouldn't buy one off TM -"GST registered" shop or not, especially with only a 90 day warranty.
You could buy one brand new for that much.

Winnie
30-10-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks for that info....
the shorter warranty bothers me .
I've been looking at u tube reviews for different lap tops and
it's been quite good.
Will have a look in the city next week for whats around and decide from there.

Your advice is truly appreciated :)

Thanks

utopian201
31-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Dont be too quick to discount Dell. No other vendor allows you to customise each part of the notebook as much as dell. It is half way there to being as configurable as a full desktop PC.

So if you can't find a notebook which has x graphics card, y cpu, z ram, etc etc, the Dell might offer it...