PDA

View Full Version : All My Confidential Logins and Passwords Disclosed

robortiz59
28-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I recently took Speedy Gonzalez's advice and installed PC Wizard to help resolve an issue I had. As I was playing with it, I clicked on the Password icon, and it generated a list of login IDs, passwords, and the web sites they were used to access using Internet Explorer in the past. I was shocked to see this list. There were dozens of them. The list goes back years. It had one entry for Firefox, which I migrated to a few years ago. But it didn't list all the Firefox related passwords. The IE entries, however, were itemized.

I was shocked to see this list. I am totally anal retentive about cleaning up my browsing history, cookies, temp files, etc. I had no idea this information was stored someplace on my system. Its scary. I have passwords here for bank and brokerage accounts, not to mention web sites I wouldn't (ahem) want some people to know I visit. So, where is this info stored? How do I delete it? And, have you checked your systems lately?

Rob

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Its probably stored in the registry, under whatever program entry

Even if you uninstall a program (if it uses passwords), it doesnt necessarily remove the program entry (or password) for it in the registry as well.

SolMiester
28-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I recently took Speedy Gonzalez's advice and installed PC Wizard to help resolve an issue I had. As I was playing with it, I clicked on the Password icon, and it generated a list of login IDs, passwords, and the web sites they were used to access using Internet Explorer in the past. I was shocked to see this list. There were dozens of them. The list goes back years. It had one entry for Firefox, which I migrated to a few years ago. But it didn't list all the Firefox related passwords. The IE entries, however, were itemized.

I was shocked to see this list. I am totally anal retentive about cleaning up my browsing history, cookies, temp files, etc. I had no idea this information was stored someplace on my system. Its scary. I have passwords here for bank and brokerage accounts, not to mention web sites I wouldn't (ahem) want some people to know I visit. So, where is this info stored? How do I delete it? And, have you checked your systems lately?

Rob

IE offers to save usernames and passwords, once you click yes and dont remind me, thats it.....it saves any new pw's without asking.....you should be able to go into IE control panel and delete ALL content including pw's

robortiz59
28-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Speedy,

All the logins and passwords (except for an old e-mail password from Outlook) are from Explorer, and used for web site browsing/access. Are you saying they are stored in the registry related to IE?

Sol,

I just went into IE clicked on Tools/Delete Browsing History and chose to delete files, cookies, history, forms passwords, and all. Re-ran the PC wizard, and it listed all the same info again. No change. Am I missing something?

SolMiester
28-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Trythis (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/autocomplete.mspx)

robortiz59
28-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using IE 7, and the dialog boxes are set up just a little differently than the page you linked me to, which shows IE 6. But, I did what the instructions you sent showed me to do. I just did it again, and re-ran PC Wizard. The list still populates.

Could this have something to do with the fact that the info was stored way back when I was using an earlier version of IE. Is the info stored someplace other than where IE 7 expects it to be?

SolMiester
28-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi, ummm, not sure, are these password under your profile or another, maybe the pc wizard shows all passwords on the PC regardless of user profile?

You could try uninstall IE7, you will have to reboot, then try clearing passwords again, then re-install IE7

Trev
28-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Maybe try here.
http://search.microsoft.com/Results.aspx?qsc0=0&q=How+to+remove+stored+passwords+in+Outlook+Expres s&mkt=en-US&FORM=QBME1&l=1&x=4&y=13
:)

FoxyMX
28-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Use Protected Storage Pass Viewer (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html) to view and delete the unrequired accounts.

To prevent your passwords being revealed in future either do not save them or otherwise use an alternative web browser and email client to Microsoft's.

wainuitech
28-10-2008, 05:49 PM
FF is terrible for keeping passwords a secret - with in a few clicks it will reveal every thing - Tools/Options/Security Tab - click on saved Passwords - then show Passwords / Yes and voila every thing user names Passwords the lot - BUT at least you can delete them as well.

Thebananamonkey
28-10-2008, 09:32 PM
CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) cleans all of that and more.

Whenever I come to a new computer I make sure that when I've left CCleaner is both installed, and has run at least once. Also, I often find that it clears out about 1.5GB of space on lots of computers.

I suggest you get it and run it. Run it with all the boxes ticked the first time, then change it back to normal for future runs. Also, with the extra settings you can add protected cookies to a list so that the sites you DO want it to remember, are remembered.

FoxyMX
29-10-2008, 10:48 AM
FF is terrible for keeping passwords a secret - with in a few clicks it will reveal every thing

Yes, it is quite handy sometimes. ;) :p

Opera does not suffer from this flaw but I've been wondering whether Thunderbird, being a member of the Mozilla family, does the same as Firefox?

robortiz59
30-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I tried both CCleaner and Protected Storage Pass Viewer - in that order. CCleaner was an awesome app, it cleared up about 800 meg of crap. But, it still didn't remove the passwords. PC Wizard found them even after I ran it. But, Protected Storage Pass Viewer did successfully remove them. At least it removed the old IE and Outlook passwords. But I still have a whole bunch of FF passwords which I thought I had deleted using the FF dialog boxes. Any suggestions for how I can delete them?

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Uninstall firefox, delete its folders, and delete the registry entries.

Use ccleaner's registry option, remove everything, then reinstall it

I wouldnt worry about it, if youre the only person using this PC

FoxyMX
30-10-2008, 05:00 PM
But I still have a whole bunch of FF passwords which I thought I had deleted using the FF dialog boxes. Any suggestions for how I can delete them?

I don't save any passwords in Firefox so I'm not sure if it will work or not but try the "Clear Private Data" with all ticks enabled in the Tools menu.