PDA

View Full Version : Dual Sound Cards used with one application.

onemana man
27-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I am currently running Vista Home Premium SP1 with an external Audigy 2 Soundblaster, to get a better quality sound to my new stereo I have installed an Asus Xonar D2 sound card. The Asus is a big improvement in sound quality.
I use Windows media player 11.

Unfortunately the Asus has no direct headphone output, without removing the speaker cable or purchasing a Y link to split the speaker cable, with questionable effects on good quality stereo sound.

If I could use the soundblaster and the Asus together I can utilise the headphones output on the external audigy box, whilst using the Asus line output to my stereo. This would make life very easy with the ability to mute either output.

I cannot get the system to allow two active sound cards together, its either one or the other, is there any way of running two sound cards together in the same program.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Dont think so. No version of Windows can use 2 soundcards

Or get speakers with a headphone socket?

Agent_24
27-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Just use a splitter of some sort. You will not notice any difference, unless you're an alien or the splitter is made out of cheese

sroby
28-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Dont think so. No version of Windows can use 2 soundcards

Not quite true. Ive had 3 sound cards working at once (wasnt easy to setup thou..)
Some apps will allow for simultaneous use of more than one soundcard (eg recording programs)
but it the app doesnt support dual sound card then it will probhably use the default card.

You could try setting it up as 4 speaker output (dual stereo/front-rear) & use front for speakers & rear for headphones.

onemana man
28-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Not quite true. Ive had 3 sound cards working at once (wasnt easy to setup thou..)
Some apps will allow for simultaneous use of more than one soundcard (eg recording programs)
but it the app doesnt support dual sound card then it will probhably use the default card.

You could try setting it up as 4 speaker output (dual stereo/front-rear) & use front for speakers & rear for headphones.

Thats a good suggestion, I have tried it and it works, only problem is that the headphones go forever unless the speaker configuration is changed.