PDA

View Full Version : Help with DCPROMO

chiefnz
27-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi guys,

I'm running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2. At present it is setp as a file and print server. I now want to convert it to a domain controller. I have run the "dcpromo" command from START--->RUN.

The process works fine but comes up with a DNS error stating the following...

Diagnostic Failed
The registration diagnostic has been run 1 time.

Warning: Domain Controller functions like joining a domain, logging onto a domain, and Active Directory replication will not be available until the DNS infrastructure for Active Directory is correctly configured.

The wizard encountered an error while trying to determine if the DNS server with which this domain controller will register supports dynamic updates.

For more information, including steps to correct this problem, see Help.

Details
The primary DNS server tested was: ns1.ihug.net.nz (203.109.252.7)

The zone was: quantumleap.co.nz

The test for dynamic DNS update support returned:
"DNS bad key."
(error code 0x00002339 RCODE_BADKEY)

I'm not setting the server up to do DNS or DHCP (this is handled by my router via a Cisco Catalyst 3550, 24 port switch)

Should I set the DNS address to the router (which will then resolve to the ihug address anyway) or should I set it to the ihug address directly?

Any help would be appreicated?

Cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2008, 01:10 PM
This help ? (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_install_active_directory_on_windows_2003.ht m)

CYaBro
27-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I would try it without a DNS entry at all.
If it won't let you do it without one try 127.0.0.1.

Once dcpromo has finished you can go into DNS and change or add whatever.

chiefnz
27-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Well I went through the steps and set the server to be the primary DNS... if things go wonky I will change the settings...

I only have 1 PC which will be connected to the domain... the Mrs doesn't want me playing around with here lappie...

Will keep you posted.

CYaBro
27-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Just checked our SBS2003 server and the DNS setting is the IP of the server itself so you shouldn't have any problems.
Once DNS set up you need to go into the DNS forwarders settings and put in your ISP DNS servers.

chiefnz
28-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks bro!!!

I got the DNS installed but couldn't browse the internet until I changed the the DNS entry to my router?

After I did this I couldn't join my computer to the domain because of a DNS error...

So I decided to cut my losses and remove the DNS and Domain controller roles from the machine... that was fun... took my user credentials with it as well so had to redo that.

Will give it another go maybe this weekend...

Cheers,