PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing Microsoft LifeCam VX-7000

noelevans
26-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Today I tried installing the above new webcam on my PC [AMD Athlon 64*2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21Ghz, 1Gb RAM, and Running Microsoft XP SP2]. As per the user guide, I installed the software first, this seemed OK. The next step was to connect the webcam to a USB port. As soon as I did this, my screen went blank, and the PC locked up. The only remedy was to switch off, then on, and re-boot. The re-boot worked fine until I tried plugging in the webcam whereupon it froze again.

I then thought I'd try to reinstall the software, but upon starting this I was informed that I first had to uninstall the present software, which appears to be in two programs LifeCam.exe and Icepick.exe.

When, via Control Panel, I went to delete these two programs using 'Add/Remove Software' they were nowhere to be found on the installed software list! So how can I be expected to remove them if they cannot be found? :confused:

Can anyone advise how I resolve this impasse where I cannot go either forward or back?

gary67
26-10-2008, 08:46 PM
You could try ccleaner or Revo uninstaller but if they don't show in add remove programs they might not pick it up either. Do they exist in the programs and settings folder on the C drive?

noelevans
26-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Gary (that was quick!)
No, neither program shows up in Revo Uninstaller nor CCCleaner

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Look in control panel / admin tools / event viewer.

See if it put an entry here. About the time it freezes. Whats it say??

Look under application or system. Once you find it, double click it and click on the icon under the down arrow.. And paste it here

It looks like the driver, or program for some of these Lifecams can cause the main file to stop responding in Vista as well.

One fix (for Vista) that seemed to work with one guy was to uninstall Nero (why I dont know)!

wainuitech
26-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Have a look in system Restore - Start/All Programs / Accessories/System Tools/ System restore - select " restore My Computer to an Earlier time" -

Look and see if the software made an auto restore point before installing or earlier that day - if it didn't look at the calender and look for nearest date in bold, select it and follow prompts through to wind the system back - this will remove all traces of the software & you should then be able to install it again.

You wont lose any data - only any programs installed or settings changed after the restore time/date.

When you retry to install the software - make a restore point FIRST. That way if it turns to custard there's an easy fix.

Note: its best to make a restore point BEFORE installing ANY software - no matter how trust worthy the source.

Edited: go here (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=ICE) work through the drop down boxes and also get the latest Drivers/software for the Cam. -- Just checked 43.6Mb

jwil1
26-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Note: its best to make a restore point BEFORE installing ANY software - no matter how trust worthy the source.

Many software products (esp. Microsoft ones) automatically create one before installing anyway, which is very handy,

wainuitech
26-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Many software products (esp. Microsoft ones) automatically create one before installing anyway, which is very handy, exactly why I mentioned it ;) - system restore can save hours of trouble shooting, but not all software is so helpful :thumbs:

pctek
27-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Uninstall manually.

I had fun with one of these things once, hateful drivers.........eventually for no particular reason I could see, it decided to co-operate.
I recommend never buying one again, use Logitech instead.

noelevans
27-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Very much appreciated.

I tried WainuiTech's advice and rolled back to an earlier period, and reinstalled. When I first installed I chose a non-standard installation option - something about utilising a standard MS option, but the result was the same.

So, I've returned the webcam to the retailer and received a credit, and will not pursue further.

Again, many thanks for your helpful comments