PDA

View Full Version : New HDD

bk T
26-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Got my new PC up and running but the new HDD -Seagate 500GB is making some irregular noise, not loud but annoying especially when the room is very quiet. Downloaded and installed SeaTools for Windows, run the test but did not detect any irregularities.

What shall I do next? Can I return it for a replacement?

gary67
26-10-2008, 12:10 PM
You should be able to return it if you think it's not right

wainuitech
26-10-2008, 01:16 PM
If the drive IS faulty you can return it under Warranty - BUT if you "think its not right", that doesn't mean it is faulty as all drives make noise of some kind, some more than others - it really depends on if the noise is a fault or not.

bk T
26-10-2008, 01:59 PM
After close observation it seems the 'noise' is the HDD's activity noise. Even when the machine is idling, I can hear some 'brief' activity noise and the HDD's LED is blinking briefly. Something seems to be running behind even when the machine is idle. Checked task manager, no program is running when idle.

It's a clean install of Vista Ultimate SP1 with only AVG, Office, & Spybot installed.

Trev
26-10-2008, 02:44 PM
After close observation it seems the 'noise' is the HDD's activity noise. Even when the machine is idling, I can hear some 'brief' activity noise and the HDD's LED is blinking briefly. Something seems to be running behind even when the machine is idle. Checked task manager, no program is running when idle.

It's a clean install of Vista Ultimate SP1 with only AVG, Office, & Spybot installed.

I think you have the same drive as mine. I have had mine for 3 months and even when idle there is some brief activity and the LED blinks about every second. Yes, and it makes a bit of a noise. Haven't had any problems.
This is my model.
Seagate Barracuda ES Hard Disk Drive, 500GB, 7200rpm, 32768KB Cache, SATA-2
:)

bk T
26-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I think you have the same drive as mine. I have had mine for 3 months and even when idle there is some brief activity and the LED blinks about every second. Yes, and it makes a bit of a noise. Haven't had any problems.
This is my model.
Seagate Barracuda ES Hard Disk Drive, 500GB, 7200rpm, 32768KB Cache, SATA-2

That's the one!

pctek
26-10-2008, 07:21 PM
After close observation it seems the 'noise' is the HDD's activity noise. Checked task manager, no program is running when idle.

You'd be amazed what Windows does when you think its idle. Nor does Task Manager show you everything.

Silver_Blade
26-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I have the same drive its just doing an average check every sec or so (ie so it spins up to check then spins down briefly).
Btw i cant really hear my hdd as i got so many fans

bk T
26-10-2008, 09:17 PM
So, to cut long story short, you folks think that the HDD is 'normal'?

Trev
26-10-2008, 11:09 PM
So, to cut long story short, you folks think that the HDD is 'normal'?
Yes, I would say so as mine has been like it for 3 months with no problems. Like you I ran Seatools about 3 months ago and found no issues. Mine even dose it before Windows is running. I stopped to check the bios one day and the drive was ticking over then.

bk T
27-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Found out that the noise is caused by resonance. Removed and reposition HDD to another bay eliminated the noise to an almost inaudible level. :)
Very happy with machine.

Trev
27-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Found out that the noise is caused by resonance. Removed and reposition HDD to another bay eliminated the noise to an almost inaudible level. :)
Very happy with machine.