PDA

View Full Version : Video from HDD recorder to PC?

Curbd
25-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey, I've had a Sony rdr-hx750 hdd/dvd recorder for a while now and sofar the only way that I've been able to get the video from it onto my pc is to rip a dvd with the files. This is quite an annoying procedure which I wouldn't mind being able to cut out (mostly due to size limits of each dvd).

I have firewire ports on my computer, and have tried connecting the Dv plug on the front of the recorder up to it, with no luck. It shows up as a device but can't see the videos on it etc.

Wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with this method?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 07:15 PM
You probably need a program to get them off the recorder

Did you try Movie maker?

Curbd
25-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree,
I tried movie maker to grab the video but it didn't do a thing.
Explorer generally should also be able to show me.
(Let me also point out that I don't know if this type of recorder has been ever successfully linked to a computer before through dv to transfer video, It may not even be physically possible.)

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I would get the software and manual

Which is here (http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/index.jsp)

By the looks of it

This maybe the file (6.8mb) <-- direct link (http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/software_files/720.exe)

Curbd
25-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Wow how did I not find that on their site?! I searched on their site a number of times and thought it would be a 'discontinued product' type of thing. Thanks. I'm currently downloading the file, will tell you how I get on.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 07:40 PM
No probs, the 820 maybe the same as the 820EA. It'll probably be similar

Curbd
25-10-2008, 07:49 PM
( we both just got the two threads mixed up :P)
The Jvc driver was for its memory card, which XP can find on its own anyway.
Still no luck with Dv.
Thanks.

jwil1
25-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a Pioneer HD recorder and find it easiest to burn the footage to a DVD, then rip it on to the PC. A bit time consuming, bit worth it IMO.

Curbd
25-10-2008, 08:08 PM
By saying 'find it easiest', have you been able to get it on through Dv, yet just prefer the dvd method?

Bantu
25-10-2008, 08:10 PM
My Sony 750 I just hook it up to my PC via Composite cables and feed it directly to my PC Hauppauge Card, it captures as mpeg format. I can edit it in Premiere etc then.

Alternatively a *RW DVD and edit it off on the PC.

The DV connector on the front is for DV IN eg from a Video camera, NOT DV out.

HDMi is out if you have a PC that can do HDMi In.

wainuitech
25-10-2008, 08:12 PM
You can always Try Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/), it has the ability to transfer data from Scanners, Cameras and other devices, You click Import - Select your device - Your Cam - so it may pick up your movies - its free.

Trev
25-10-2008, 08:15 PM
What kind of graphics card have you got. Dose it have a video in video out sockets (vivo). I have the Sony HX 950 DVD/HD recorder. Not to sure whether you can record that way.
:)

Curbd
25-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Another question, is it better quality running it in through composite leads, than put the video onto dvd then into my pc?

and how much would a decent Usb/firewire (preferably) capable of HDMI and composite input set you back these days?
Thanks

Curbd
25-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Another question, do you find that composite quality is better than that of writing the video to dvd?

How much would a Usb/firewire (preferably) capture card cost capable of HDMI and composite (and audio) in? Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 08:41 PM
It'll probably be better, if you got a system, with HDMI, firewire, and USB onboard.

Only thing is, you would have to get the CPU and the ram for it as well

Curbd
25-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Oops, thought I hadn't clicked 'post', so accidentally wrote a double lol.
I don't know if Picasa will work, it doesn't seem very advanced in capabilites that would exceed what explorer could do - but I may be proven wrong!

My graphics card isn't Vivo, bummer.

Thanks

Curbd
25-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Speedy: problem is we just upgraded our entire computer, we're not tooo keen on buying a new set ;)
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 09:18 PM
You could get one of these (http://www.modster-pc.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?cPath=129&products_id=493)

For everything else but HDMI

Only thing is the firewire would have to be onboard (the FW on this plugs into the back connection)

Composite is ok for recording from a video input, but you would still need a program to record the incoming video/sound.

And to burn it to DVD (it would have to support burning to DVD).

I wouldnt use USB tho for transferring video/audio. It'll be too slow, and will probably be out of sync.

Firewire is better for video/audio transfer, if whatever has firewire on it

Where in NZ are you?

Curbd
26-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Great, I'll look into buying one of those!
My firewire ports are 2 on the back and one on the front, does this mean it has an onboard chip?

We have programs for recording the video and audio thanks :)
Yep, dvd burner.

It's a shame that sunbeam panel isn't an external device, I would prefer one that could go into the Firewire port.
Thanks.

Oh, and I'm in Welly.

Trev
26-10-2008, 09:17 AM
A TV Tuner card might be better. Just connect via the audio/video sockets. I wouldn't try using firewire with the Sony as there is no mention in the manual about doing this kind of thing. You could do some damage to the Sony.

CYaBro
26-10-2008, 09:45 AM
AFAIK the DV port on the front of all HDD Recorders is only for connecting a DV camera so you can upload your camera footage to the HDD then edit on there etc.
It's only an input not an output.

Burning to DVD and then transfering to a PC and ripping is going to give you the best picture quality.
Using the outputs on the back will only give you an analogue signal plus you will only be able to transfer to a PC in real time so it would take a lot longer than doing it with a DVD.

Trev
26-10-2008, 10:23 AM
You could always ask here.
http://www.sony.co.nz/default.jsp

Curbd
26-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks, after hearing that the quality will stay greatest on Dvd I might just stick with it.
I also forgot that I would then have to capture it in real time :S

Shame Sony (and all hdd recorder brands) don't bring out new firmware to allow dv to computer.
----------------

-How about buying a DVD-RAM? would it work, letting me hold much more and slap it onto the pc?

CYaBro
26-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks, after hearing that the quality will stay greatest on Dvd I might just stick with it.
I also forgot that I would then have to capture it in real time :S

Shame Sony (and all hdd recorder brands) don't bring out new firmware to allow dv to computer.
----------------

-How about buying a DVD-RAM? would it work, letting me hold much more and slap it onto the pc?

There are some models that have a network socket on them that allows you to transfer data to and from the HDD and a PC.

Curbd
26-10-2008, 03:15 PM
True, but that involves buying a new one, and then transferring the data from my one to the new one :)

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Pity you're not in Auckland.

I could have transferred it to DV tape then transferred it to PC for you

Term_X
26-10-2008, 04:58 PM
quite funny, right this minute im transferring clips on my dvd recorder and then burning dvds and then ripping them on the pc.. my panasonic dvd recorder has sd and usb connections but cant only copy from them to the recorder. not vice versa which is a real pain in the neck. i would have thought they would have the copying 2 way!

oh.. just seen my recorder has dvd ram.. so guess i might as well just get a ram disc i suppose.. might suss me a dvd writer that does dvd-ram.. my old dvd writer had dvd-ram but never used it.. my current doesnt have dvd-ram.

ripping to dvd is tedious but i guess it retains max quality as previously mentioned.

Curbd
26-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the offer Speedy Gonzales, but as you say I'm not in auckland, and also that I'm doing many files - like, not just today, but also many in the near future. Thankyou anyway.

I got a few Dvd-RAMS, only to find that our recorder doesn't support the type :(
No worries.

I wish there was independent firmware out there to allow USB or firewire/dv transfer or something! imagine if you had a file over 4.7GB (which I do have some of lol) on the recorder, and you want to get them onto your pc without loss of any quality. Ditch.