PDA

View Full Version : HELP (with MS Word 2000) - I just did something REAL dumb

Aporosa
25-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi, I AM AN IDIOT OF THE HIGHEST ORDER and I seriously need your help.:eek:

I typed up several pages (in my PhD thesis) in MS Office (Word) 2000 using XP and didn't save it. It was very good work. Please tell me that I can find a temporary copy of that document prior to failing to save it!!! I have NOT rebooted my computer.

Any help, please use basic language so I can locate it. Cheers

gary67
25-10-2008, 02:07 PM
do a search of your computer and include the temp folders

Aporosa
25-10-2008, 02:10 PM
just done that, even the hidden files, did a check for .tmp files. Nothing after 1.17pm, which is strange, becuase I was constantly using my computer between that time and when I stuffed up at 1.30pm

wainuitech
25-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Hate to say it but generally it will be gone - If word or the computer had crashed while typing it it then would have saved a temp copy BUT when it was closed off without saving, generally the temp copy goes as well.

The auto save may have kicked in if you are lucky - according to MS

Word Auto Recover Save Directory
The temporary file that is created when Word performs an automatic save is stored in the Temp folder, unless there is not a valid Temp folder. In this case, Word saves the temporary file in the same folder where it saves the document.

Aporosa
25-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks anyway. I went through all of the recovery processes and it has gone. I am so F&!*&^$ mad. You would think that after 15 years of almost living in a computer I would have learnt.

R.M.
25-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh dear. :(

I sympathise. :badpc: