PDA

View Full Version : NB-fan header

bk T
24-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Came across this Gigabyte MB which has a NB-fan (North Bridge?)header. Can I just ignore this connection or it has to be connected to a special fan or any ordinary cooling fan?

Silver_Blade
24-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Motherboard Model?

Agent_24
25-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Typically if it has a NB fan header, then the NB should have a fan, and it should be connected to it.

Unless the same PCB is used for a more powerful board which requires a fan that yours doesn't have, or they are just putting it there in case you ever want to put in an aftermarket NB cooler with a fan on it

bk T
25-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Motherboard Model?

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P.

There isn't any NB fan built-in.

Silver_Blade
25-10-2008, 10:02 AM
It is a North Bridge fan header as it says on the spec sheet on the Gigabyte Website
"1 x North Bridge fan header"
So you can go out and buy a north bridge specific fan for your motherboard and you would plug the fan in using the supplied north bridge fan header.
This is probably optional as you can overclock the motherboard.
When you overclock a motherboard the north bridge and south bridge chip can get hot enough to require a fan to cool the bridges.
But if you dont overclock you dont need to get the fan extra, the board will run fine without it.
good luck
btw nice mobo:drool

bk T
25-10-2008, 04:17 PM
btw nice mobo:drool

This is my first upgrade from my good old P3 500 Mhz which I just sold it for $80.00.

BTW, just finished putting all the hardware together. Not yet loaded OS, though.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Just make sure if you use the internal firewire header (I see its got 2 FW connections on the back as well).

If you connect it to a bracket on the back of the case, or to the front panel, that you connect it to the right header on the mobo.

ie: DON'T connect it to a USB header. As both have the same amount of pins.

You'll kill the mobo

bk T
25-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Just make sure if you use the internal firewire header (I see its got 2 FW connections on the back as well).

If you connect it to a bracket on the back of the case, or to the front panel, that you connect it to the right header on the mobo.

ie: DON'T connect it to a USB header. As both have the same amount of pins.

You'll kill the mobo

Thanks for your reminder, Speedy.:thumbs:

Silver_Blade
26-10-2008, 05:28 PM
What cpu are you using?

bk T
26-10-2008, 09:21 PM
What cpu are you using?

cpu: Q9550 ,
video: Radeon HD4850 512MB
ram: super talent 4GB