PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC

gary67
24-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi all
looking at installing MS virtual pc on my XP home, I know officially not supported but do know it works.

Question is I want to install Ubuntu (have found the tutorials online and through searching PF1) but is it simple to uninstall V PC and associated files if I no longer want it?

Am also thinking of trying Vista on V PC as well.

Will installing Ubuntu through V PC affect my windows install if I then delete V PC or will the windows boot loader revert back to normal.

jwil1
24-10-2008, 09:34 PM
You'll have probs getting Linux on VPC. Linux uses 24 bit colour and VPC doesn't support it.

Vista will work, but you won't get Aero and it will be slow. You may be better to load Vista onto your main PC and run XP in VPC. This is what I do and XP runs really well (I do have a quad core though :D)

Last question - no: Virtual PC does not alter your PC's bootloader at all.

Netsukeninja
24-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Personally, I have had problems with Windows Virtual PC, in my opinion Sun's xVM Virtual Box is a lot better, it is also free and open-source.http://www.virtualbox.org/ Linux distros run perfectly with this. (tested Ubuntu, DSL, and PCLinuxOS)

somebody
24-10-2008, 09:47 PM
You'll have probs getting Linux on VPC. Linux uses 24 bit colour and VPC doesn't support it.

Vista will work, but you won't get Aero and it will be slow. You may be better to load Vista onto your main PC and run XP in VPC. This is what I do and XP runs really well (I do have a quad core though :D)

Last question - no: Virtual PC does not alter your PC's bootloader at all.

There are a number of tutorials online which deal with the 24-bit colour issue, including several which have been mentioned on this forum before.

Make sure that if your CPU supports it, that you enable "Hardware Virtualisation" in the settings area. Also, give the guest OS as much RAM as you are reasonably able to do so - Vista requires at a minimum of 1gb of RAM. With Windows "guests", you can install the "Virtual Machine Additions" which makes the overall experience a lot better - i.e. seamless mouse integration, resizable window and so forth.

I use Virtual PC (and Virtualbox) extensively to test software in a "safe" environment - if anything goes wrong, I can delete the virtual machine and it won't (and cannot) affect my host computer.

gary67
24-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks all have just been looking at VM ware as well so in everybody's opionion what is better V PC from MS, VM ware or Virtual box?

somebody
24-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Personally, I have had problems with Windows Virtual PC, in my opinion Sun's xVM Virtual Box is a lot better, it is also free and open-source. http://www.virtualbox.org/

It depends on what matters to you more. I've traditionally used Virtual PC 2007 a lot more than VirtualBox since VirtualBox was very unstable (and slow) on a Vista host. The latest version of VirtualBox has changed my mind however, as it is just as fast and has some interesting features.

The key differences I've found are:
- Virtualbox has seamless mode, which makes it look like the two desktops are one
- Virtual PC allows you to drag-and-drop files straight onto the virtual machine desktop from your host PC, without needing to go through the hassle of sharing folders and what-not

From a usability and performance standpoint, they have been pretty much identical in my experience. Be aware that the fully "open source" version of VirtualBox is missing some very useful things which the "partly open source" version has.

somebody
24-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks all have just been looking at VM ware as well so in everybody's opionion what is better V PC from MS, VM ware or Virtual box?

VMWare (proper) costs money. VMWare Server or VMWare ESXi which are free aren't really suitable for proper desktop use, as they are aimed at servers rather than workstations - i.e. they don't have a lot of the "nice" desktop integration features.

Either Virtual PC 2007 or VirtualBox are best suited for someone who wants to play with a desktop OS. I'd suggest you try both, as they each have their own pros and cons.

jwil1
24-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Either Virtual PC 2007 or VirtualBox are best suited for someone who wants to play with a desktop OS. I'd suggest you try both, as they each have their own pros and cons.

+1

I'd use VPC for Windows (so you can have the additions)

And use Virtualbox for Linux.

somebody
25-10-2008, 08:21 AM
+1

I'd use VPC for Windows (so you can have the additions)

And use Virtualbox for Linux.

The latest version of VirtualBox now also has additions (the non-open source version), but it doesn't allow drag-and-drop file transfer.

gary67
25-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, will install both V PC and Virtual box for windows and also on a spare machine going to try Virtual box for linux and see if I can get it running XP. I just needed to know it wasn't going to do something weird to my system first and that has been answered.

Jen
25-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Question is I want to install Ubuntu (have found the tutorials online and through searching PF1) but is it simple to uninstall V PC and associated files if I no longer want it?Ubuntu has an option to install using Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/). This installs Ubuntu into a folder under your Windows C drive without having to partition - basically it is a virtual drive. It is easy to uninstall (http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php) via your Windows Add/Remove.

I used Wubi to put Ubuntu on my Vista laptop as I didn't want a permanent install at that point. It behaves no differently than a "normal" installation of Linux.

If you already have burnt a Ubuntu disk, then you just need to insert the CD while Windows is running and then select the appropriate option.

I would wait a few more days as Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is being released in 5 days time.

This of course does not answer your question about having XP also installed.

SolMiester
25-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi, you could use VMware server..i think the latest is 1.07, the only Virtual software i know that supports graphic hardware acceleration is VMware Workstation, but you have to buy that. You could use moka5, that can even be run on a USB flash card, and it even has a bare metal version for bypassing an installed o/s to run on your usb drive....

gary67
25-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Just been trying out virtual box on my xp home machine managed to get Ubuntu 7.10 running in under 3 minutes, I can see why virtual machines are going to be the next big thing which is why I want to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks everyone for your advice/thoughts

gary67
25-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Next question got virtual box to run Ubuntu from an ISO but can you run software in it as well? Or will it only run OS's I was running Ubuntu from the CDalso is it possible to run windows within V box as my XP SP3 disk isn't an iso disk

dyewitness
25-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Next question got virtual box to run Ubuntu from an ISO but can you run software in it as well? Or will it only run OS's I was running Ubuntu from the CDalso is it possible to run windows within V box as my XP SP3 disk isn't an iso disk

I don't know Virtual Box specifically, but there should be an option along the lines of "use the hosts CD/DVD drive" when you edit your VM settings.

somebody
25-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Yes. In the "Settings" for the virtual machine, under "CD ROM" tick "Mount CD/DVD Drive" and then choose "Host CD/DVD Drive".

gary67
26-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Just booted my XP CD I slipstreamed SP3 into and worked thanks will be using this software more often from now:clap:banana

gary67
27-10-2008, 09:26 AM
The Windows XP disk even did the format this drive which I allowed to run when loading in Virtual box and when I turned off the virtual machine everything still seems to be fine.

Question now if I copied the cd to my HDD can I run the virtual drive that way my understanding is that I can then I could load software into the virtual XP with my dvd drive to test it is that correct?

somebody
27-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Question now if I copied the cd to my HDD can I run the virtual drive that way my understanding is that I can then I could load software into the virtual XP with my dvd drive to test it is that correct?

I can't quite understand what your question is Gary.

If you've already installed XP, then you won't need the CD anymore to run it. You are free to use your DVD drive to install other software onto the XP virtual machine.

If you are referring to copying a CD onto your hard drive, and then mounting it on your Virtual machine, then yes - you can do that. There are a number of free tools which will let you take an ISO image of any CD/DVD, which you can then mount on the virtual machine.

gary67
27-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I can't quite understand what your question is Gary.

If you've already installed XP, then you won't need the CD anymore to run it. You are free to use your DVD drive to install other software onto the XP virtual machine.

If you are referring to copying a CD onto your hard drive, and then mounting it on your Virtual machine, then yes - you can do that. There are a number of free tools which will let you take an ISO image of any CD/DVD, which you can then mount on the virtual machine.

Sorry I didn't realise it actually copied to the HDD I thought you had to run the CD each time to use it so more my confusion than yours thanks

gary67
27-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Must seem like a noob for asking so many questions.

When running ubuntu under V box do I have to click the install to have it save direct to my hdd for use next time, this doesn't install it as a dual boot though as I'm wanting to avoid that for now?

somebody
27-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Must seem like a noob for asking so many questions.

When running ubuntu under V box do I have to click the install to have it save direct to my hdd for use next time, this doesn't install it as a dual boot though as I'm wanting to avoid that for now?

You should really have separate virtual machines for XP and Ubuntu, to make things easier.

In any case, you just treat the virtual machines as though they were a spare PC sitting in the corner - so if you want to install an operating system like Ubuntu, you'll need to click on "Install", otherwise you'll need to boot from CD next time. Just remember that for all intents and purposes, the virtual machine is just "another" normal computer.

gary67
27-10-2008, 12:41 PM
OK I think I have it now just been on the V box forum as well. I have XP as my original OS installed on this comp and have installed V box, now want to install Ubuntu as a virtual OS so know now I still have to actually install it when its running under V box. Also installed separately a XP disk I slipstreamed SP3 into to test it and have now deleted that virtual machine as It was only a test.

Promise not to ask too many more questions somebody you have been very patient and it's appreciated

somebody
27-10-2008, 12:51 PM
OK I think I have it now just been on the V box forum as well. I have XP as my original OS installed on this comp and have installed V box, now want to install Ubuntu as a virtual OS so know now I still have to actually install it when its running under V box. Also installed separately a XP disk I slipstreamed SP3 into to test it and have now deleted that virtual machine as It was only a test.

Promise not to ask too many more questions somebody you have been very patient and it's appreciated

No problem - glad to help.

pcmac
16-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I took 3 hours to install Vista biz ed,on XP pro on fast laptop 4 gig ram, is it always this slow?:confused:

using Virtual PC 2007 SP1

jwil1
16-03-2009, 11:50 AM
how much RAM have you assigned to the virtual PC?

(btw, please starts new threads rather than bumping up old ones - you'll get more responses that way :))