PDA

View Full Version : sprtcmd.exe closedown

Richard Morriss
24-10-2008, 08:51 PM
My computer, which has always closed down without any problems, has recently decided to bring up a dialogue box when I go to close down saying that it is closing sprtcom.exe. It thinks for a while, then reports it can't close the file and asks me to do it manually. If I close manually, everything works fine. However, I used to just go to close down the computer and walk away and it all worked fine, but now I have to hang around to get rid of the sprtcmd.exe issue before the computer will close down. Otherwise I come back later and find it is still going!

I looks like the .exe file is something to do with Dell Support (I have a Dell machine), but further than that I haven't a clue. any ideas out there?

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Use something like ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com)

After you install it, go to tools/startup and delete the sprtcmd.exe entry. As it looks like it can use up resources.

That'll stop it running everytime you turn the computer on

Dont delete the file tho

Burnzee
25-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Richard

Sprtcmd.exe is a legit program used by the Dell Support Centre. It automatically gets started when you turn your computer on but it does not need to be. It can be started manually when required.

Sprtcmd.exe is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.

Preventing the program from starting up automatically will solve most of your problems and conserve some of your computer's resources.

Hope this helps

BURNZEE

feersumendjinn
25-10-2008, 12:27 PM
This is the Dell fix
http://support.ap.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=nz&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=59EFD8037DFE169AE040AE0AB7E160E1&doclang=en&cs=