PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two floors of a building

jwil1
24-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi all,

We are about to move into a 4-storey house and need internet access on the bottom and 3rd floors.

We can't run a cable between the 2 floors - we need to connect the 2 floors wirelessly.

The router we have at the moment (Belkin Wireless G) has wireless access point functionality - we would need to buy a second router though (which brand/type - same make/model as current one??)

Here is a diagram of what I want to do..... (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/network2.png) We want to connect where the dotted line is wirelessly.

Any suggestions on what to do and how to configure it?

TIA

Myth
24-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Rather than a second router, would these (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=119615) not suit your puposes better?

Another thing to look at, are you going to get much interference between the 2 routers/access points?

somebody
25-10-2008, 08:23 AM
How well will the wireless signal survive going through two floors?

jwil1
25-10-2008, 08:02 PM
OK - change of plan (hopefully this will work better)....

One room downstairs has a RJ11 jack in it - could we get an ADSL modem and connect the PCs to that? We are currently on Telstra Cable - can we have Telstra ADSL and cable on one property and only pay once??

Bantu
25-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I would be out with a drill while wife was at work and be putting in Cat6, like I did once in a brand new house. She came home to two rooms with big holes in the walls, she was not impressed, but it worked for me and after a little plaster and paint all was sweet.

jwil1
25-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Uh... I would but we're renting this place for 6 months..... can't really drill holes.

wainuitech
25-10-2008, 08:40 PM
We are currently on Telstra Cable - can we have Telstra ADSL and cable on one property and only pay once?? Highly doubt it, you can have both - they would be supplying two separate feeds - and you only pay for one ?? - You may get a discount but it wouldn't be free on 1.

Depending on the strength of the wireless, the type of house you may be surprised - I set up a wireless connection a few months back - went from one end of the house to the other, double story - got a hell of a shock, the signal was good and stable two floors down - was expecting it not to work and require at least one repeater.

jwil1
25-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Highly doubt it, you can have both - they would be supplying two separate feeds - and you only pay for one ?? - You may get a discount but it wouldn't be free on 1.

How quick is it to switch over to ADSL from cable then?? What is the speed difference like? Is there an additional cost to having 2 modems?

decibel
25-10-2008, 09:41 PM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348019

wainuitech
25-10-2008, 09:44 PM
How quick is it to switch over to ADSL from cable then?? What is the speed difference like? Is there an additional cost to having 2 modems? Pass - Next question :p :lol:

OK Seriously :nerd: - I know about Telstra ADSL - but have only known one person who had it, it was their PDQ (pretty Damn Quick) They seemed happy with it, but I have no idea how fast or reliable it is.

Being the curious type Here is the PDQ from Telstra (http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/homeplan/internet/pdq-broadband/index.cfm) on the left is options- have a look through.

BUT like I say to all my customers who ask (if I don't know or uncertain) call them and ask - if you have Cable you may get a discount on the ADSL, OR what they may be able to do (and this is only a shot in the dark) is where the cable currently connects into the junction box, run a splitter and set up an additional feed, you may get charged for a second modem - but I think Its possible, since these days they are setting up peoples homes with TV and internet using 2 Motorola Cable modems all using the one feed in and splitting off too two.

Ring and ask since its only temporary - the worst they are going to say is nope - narrr - cant do :groan: The number I have on my cell speed dial is 0800 467272

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2008, 09:58 PM
You've got two options:
1) NetComm NP285 Turbo HomePlug
Give you Ethernet over Power, will work quite well. Just plug your device in at each end (or into a switch) and you're away laughing :)
A set of two will probably set you back around $160-180

2) Asus WL-520gU or WL-520gC running DD-WRT Firmware in Repeater-Bridge mode
This will allow you to repeat the signal wirelessly, the Wireless Routers always get better signal than a laptop will, and it then repeats it so its quite a good option, but it halves the speed due to it having to receive and then relay the signal. Not a problem if you're just browsing or doing some basic file-sharing amongst a couple of clients
It will set you back around $80

jwil1
25-10-2008, 10:02 PM
2) Asus WL-520gU or WL-520gC running DD-WRT Firmware in Repeater-Bridge mode
This will allow you to repeat the signal wirelessly, the Wireless Routers always get better signal than a laptop will, and it then repeats it so its quite a good option, but it halves the speed due to it having to receive and then relay the signal. Not a problem if you're just browsing or doing some basic file-sharing amongst a couple of clients
It will set you back around $80

So this is basically a router? Can you connect Cat cable to it?

If the wireless signal is acceptable I'd far prefer to do that than switch to ADSL.

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes, it works brilliantly :)
You can plug other devices into the LAN ports on the "repeater" router, and it they will be part of the network, visible from anywhere else, wired or wireless.

Must be running DD-WRT firmware to do the repeater-bridge function though... was scary the first time I did the upgrade, but not the end of the world.
Was easier to do the gC than the gU but both are great!

Metla
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Cheap and nasty, Run a cable out the window to the other floor.

jwil1
25-10-2008, 10:11 PM
CS: Ok, thanks. Sounds like the right thing to do.

Out of curiosity, how can you tell which firmware it's running and how can you upgrade/change it??

Metla : :lol: might consider it :D

jwil1
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
OK - time for an update.

I have bought an Asus WL-520GU and upgraded the firmware to DD-WRT. It is set to 'Repeater Bridge'.

The problem is - I can't find anywhere to tell it the IP address of the other router, the SSID or the password to enter, in order to connect to it and extend the network.

Any ideas??

jwil1
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone? :crying

dyewitness
05-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but when I was looking into setting up WDS on my network, my router's documentation said:
- set the SSID, password/encryption key to be the same on each device
- and see if you can find a settings page for entering MAC address of each wireless device
- you probably need each device to have the other's MAC address

wainuitech
05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
From Memory - and I have installed a few of those Routers Asus WL-520GU - the IP for the router is 192.168.1.1

jwil1
06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I've now got it working (kind of)....

Here's the situation at the moment...
-I have both routers connected by a cable (at the moment)
-I can ping both routers from anywhere on the network
-The routers have IPs 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
-Both routers have the same SSID and security key
-When I connect wirelessly, it goes to the closest router
-Router 1 is assigning IP addresses. Asus router (router 2) is not.
-Router 2 (the one to act as an repeater/bridge) is set up as an AP at the moment

But when I unplug the cable between the 2 routers, any connections from the Asus one are dropped and the 'limited connectivity' message appears.

Running 3rd party DD-WRT firmware on router 2.

Any ideas on what to do to get it up and running?