PDA

View Full Version : apple laptops

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 02:13 PM
i am looking at getting a macbook(the 2.1GHz model) and was wondering what people's opinion of them are.

are the worth paying the extra for in comparison to windows based laptops

any advice is appreciated :thanks

Metla
23-10-2008, 02:39 PM
The question would be do you think its worth it?

Me personally, no way in hell, I wouldn't buy it if it were cheaper and as well speced as a non-apple laptop.

Apple fans would of course think you were mad not to buy one.

pctek
23-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Why do you want a MAc? If your reasons for MAC O/S outweigh everything else then fine, but I can't think of a reason myself to pay more for one.

maccrazy
23-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, especially now that they are made of aluminum and have ditched the integrated Intel graphics chip. I don't have a MacBook, but I do have a MacBook Air which is very similar in design to the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

What justifies the extra expense? The design/build quality and the fact it runs Mac OS X.

Bantu
23-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Depending on which one you get you can run Windows stuff on it if you need to and have the best of both worlds.

Depends on what you are planning to use it for, they are damed good in my opinion although a little more expensive.

Some of the Mac Audio, Graphics and Video apps are better than windows based ones. Final Cut Pro takes some beating for Video work. I have worked on both OS's for video work.

Safari
23-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Go for it, you won't regret it.
There are a lot of members here using or have changed to Macs but many are a bit reluctant to put their heads up as the small but vocal anti-mac community here have a habit of acting like deranged imbeciles when ever Apple is mentioned on this forum.

wratterus
23-10-2008, 03:28 PM
The only reason you should go for a Mac over a Windows PC is if you need some OS Specific software. Garageband is a good excuse. Otherwise you're paying more than necessary for the hardware, you could get a much more powerful windows PC for that price. Also if it was to break, they are not cheap to fix.

You can still get your hands on a laptop with XP downgrade disks without too much trouble if you don't want Vista.

You just need to remove the crap that manufacturers force upon you with a new laptop.

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 03:29 PM
yea, i have a vista pc which has had problems in the past ( norton was the problem, fixed now with eset) and use a laptop with xp pro. i feel as though are bloated. macs seem to be a cleaner system from what i read and be told.

Metla
23-10-2008, 03:37 PM
You can point the finger of blame at the specific laptop manufacturers for bloatware and poor software configuration.

After experiencing what crap HP load on a laptop I'm surprised millions more don't switch to apple.

Safari
23-10-2008, 03:42 PM
You can point the finger of blame at the specific laptop manufacturers for bloatware and poor software configuration.

After experiencing what crap HP load on a laptop I'm surprised millions more don't switch to apple.

I think they are Metla
In the three months to 27th September Apple sold 2.6 million Macs.

utopian201
23-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I dont have a mac, but apparently they are easier to use than XP/Vista but since it is based on BSD, is as configurable and powerful as a linux machine. Its the best of both worlds.

lakewoodlady
23-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I have a MacBook and it is Bootcamped with Win XP Home. I like it so much I blogged it. Have a read here http://dotswotnots.blogspot.com/2008/08/mac-is-mac-is-mac.html

LL

password
23-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I have a mac book with Tiger running on it and its awesome! I changed from windows xp, it took a lil while to get going on it (the conversion process) but its awesome now =P

Go for it, i just use mine for music/Videos and internet, but i have seen many programs like Garageband and final cut if you need it for specific work =)

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 06:22 PM
a good read lakewoodlady :P

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 06:24 PM
that's what i mainly do on my pc and laptop, also abit of essay work etc, sounds perfect!
cheers Password

astro65536
23-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Is your $$$'s

But price is far to high for the spec's you are paying for the name

you can buy a Windows notebook was better specs for half the cost just no OSx Os

I have one (worked paied), but if was my money no way

Thanks

plod
23-10-2008, 06:35 PM
One thing I will mention is that a lot of mac software, including the stuff made by apple, don't require serial numbers. Just a useless bit of information

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 06:37 PM
is that a good thing??

plod
23-10-2008, 06:40 PM
is that a good thing??

probably not for the software makers

myke
23-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure if it is a great time to buy a new Mac... considering what the exchange rate is doing to prices.

I've played with the new aluminum MacBook, 2.0 & 2.4 GHz models.
The new track pad is pretty cool, but I'd rather use a mouse.

The all over aluminum thing has to be better than the self destructing palm rest on the white/black MacBooks.
That said I found that the aluminim G4 PowerBooks and MacBooks Pro scratched and dented easily.

A student told me that a cat sat on his friend's MacBook Air and broke the screen. So you might want to put your cat on a diet.

If you do go for the White MacBook. Make sure that you upgrade to 2GB on purchase, otherwise you will have to discard 2 x 512MB.
The white macBook seems like a step back on the 2.4 GHz MacBook or just an optical drive upgrade on the non-DVD writer entry model.

Apple is the master of marketing... that doesn't make the hardware superior.

I suspect that I come across just as many...
- confused
- don't know how to use it
- fix it
- figure it out
...people in my Apple-centric place of work (over 300 Apple computers), as I would in a Microsoft-centric environment.

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 09:42 PM
with regard 2 the memory upgrade, will they install it when i make the purchase or will i have to wait for the upgrade??
cheers

myke
23-10-2008, 10:07 PM
with regard 2 the memory upgrade, will they install it when i make the purchase or will i have to wait for the upgrade??
cheers

I guess it depends on how you buy it.
If you buy online you can add a GB of RAM for $150.
www.apple.co.nz

If you wait, you end up discarding RAM... throwing money away.

GameJunkie
23-10-2008, 10:20 PM
thats true, i guess i can by it off trademe, relatively cheap

utopian201
24-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Apple is the master of marketing... that doesn't make the hardware superior.

I originally thought, "all of them come from the few same manufacturers anyway (Quanta, Asus etc)".

But you have to admit, Macs -do- come with some pretty innovative features that do not feature in anything else, eg magsafe connectors, accelerometers to park the drive heads when dropped etc. Most notebook drives now have this built in, but it is still mac leading the way. I dont understand why Dell or HP can't come up with innovative things like this.

I suspect that I come across just as many...
- confused
- don't know how to use it
- fix it
- figure it out
...people in my Apple-centric place of work (over 300 Apple computers), as I would in a Microsoft-centric environment.

Hmm, I had the impression Mac os is intuitive and usable by grannies and hackers alike...

Bantu
24-10-2008, 10:58 AM
plod - Most of the Apple mainstream software requires a serial, eg Adobe products, Microsoft etc, some of the smaller apps don't.

myke - If any cat so much as looked sideways at my computer it would be flying through the air and out the door real fast.

Mac's are simple enough to use as are PC's if you just spend some time with them.

lakewoodlady - good blog.

GameJunkie - Yes best to get the Ram upgraded at time of purchase.

I Will be getting a Macbook Pro early next year, currently just using PC's, one with OS-X and a Thinkpad

GameJunkie
24-10-2008, 11:06 AM
why is it best to get the ram upgrade at time of purchase?

Bantu
24-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I got a good deal on the ram if got at the time.
My laptop albeit not Mac came with one 512Mb module, I wanted 2Gb so they removed the 512 and put in 2 x 1gb modules, which meant I was not stuck with a 512 module when I eventually upgraded.

Depends on the config you buy I guess.

pctek
24-10-2008, 01:34 PM
A student told me that a cat sat on his friend's MacBook Air and broke the screen. So you might want to put your cat on a diet.

Drivel. What, the screen was flat on the surface and the keyboard upright?
And the cat was what - 20kg or more?

plod
24-10-2008, 04:55 PM
plod - Most of the Apple mainstream software requires a serial, eg Adobe products, Microsoft etc, some of the smaller apps don't.

myke - If any cat so much as looked sideways at my computer it would be flying through the air and out the door real fast.

Mac's are simple enough to use as are PC's if you just spend some time with them.

lakewoodlady - good blog.

GameJunkie - Yes best to get the Ram upgraded at time of purchase.

I Will be getting a Macbook Pro early next year, currently just using PC's, one with OS-X and a Thinkpad

Not there OS or ilife.
i do not recommend buying apple ram, over priced is all I can say about that, especially when you can get a 2gig Sodimm stick for under $100 these days

notechyet
24-10-2008, 05:31 PM
hello PF1 macwinfans-winmacfans
I can also put up my hand for Mac re the quality(so far). Surely the price is well over what it should be!! That's obviously good marketing skills, or not? I'm jealous at that. I wish ....
Have fun either way!
NT

GameJunkie
24-10-2008, 06:53 PM
so you can buy generic brand ram for macs?, that s good 2 here

plod
24-10-2008, 07:15 PM

yes

myke
25-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Just make sure that you are buying quality RAM.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but cheap RAM sucks.

The point of upgrading at the point of sale is that you are not discarding the 2x 512 MB that comes onboard.

Manufacturers fill the two available RAM slots to make 1 GB with 2 x 512 or 2 GB with 2 x 1 GB... why? Because it is cheaper.
This completely bites. Makes my grumpy as.

In regards to the cat on the MacBook Air. The kid who told me is trustworthy... so I have no reason not to believe him.
I find the story funny... even, if it turns out to be bogus:clap.

GameJunkie
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
thats true, i,ve looked at laptop ram on elive.co.nz and the prices seem reasonable

myke
25-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I originally thought, "all of them come from the few same manufacturers anyway (Quanta, Asus etc)".

But you have to admit, Macs -do- come with some pretty innovative features that do not feature in anything else, eg magsafe connectors, accelerometers to park the drive heads when dropped etc. Most notebook drives now have this built in, but it is still mac leading the way. I dont understand why Dell or HP can't come up with innovative things like this.

Hmm, I had the impression Mac os is intuitive and usable by grannies and hackers alike...

Parts might largely come from the same place... but, yes even Apple sometime get it horribly wrong when things get put together.

The magsafe connectors was developed because people were doing serious damage to their logicboards when accidently yanking out the power-supplies.
Nice idea. But I've had to replace around half a dozen power supplies (both the older and new) due to the thin cable fraying and breaking.
Same problem with keyboard and mouse cables. Thicker, more robust cables please!

Apple have had plenty of duds: eMacs with venting capacitors. G3 iBooks with rubbish logic-boards, the silly mighty mouse nipple ball. cracking palm rests, iMovie 08 is in many ways a flop, but not completely.

I'm not anti-Apple... don't get me wrong. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro (using my Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse, while happy that the machine has not kernel panicked in 10 months).
Just not an Apple-Fanboy.

I just don't think that people get it.
Computers, software and operating systems cannot be compared to toasters and wooden spoons.
Millions of lines of code.
Thinking and knowledge light-years beyond the average Joe's School cert math and science.
Like most of your relationships, its complicated.

Funniest line I heard at work recently, "but it was working yesterday."

If a Granny can intuitively use an Apple computer... it is because she is a clever Granny.

gary67
26-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Parts might largely come from the same place... but, yes even Apple sometime get it horribly wrong when things get put together.

The magsafe connectors was developed because people were doing serious damage to their logicboards when accidently yanking out the power-supplies.
Nice idea. But I've had to replace around half a dozen power supplies (both the older and new) due to the thin cable fraying and breaking.
Same problem with keyboard and mouse cables. Thicker, more robust cables please!

Apple have had plenty of duds: eMacs with venting capacitors. G3 iBooks with rubbish logic-boards, the silly mighty mouse nipple ball. cracking palm rests, iMovie 08 is in many ways a flop, but not completely.

I'm not anti-Apple... don't get me wrong. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro (using my Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse, while happy that the machine has not kernel panicked in 10 months).
Just not an Apple-Fanboy.

I just don't think that people get it.
Computers, software and operating systems cannot be compared to toasters and wooden spoons.
Millions of lines of code.
Thinking and knowledge light-years beyond the average Joe's School cert math and science.
Like most of your relationships, its complicated.

Funniest line I heard at work recently, "but it was working yesterday."

If a Granny can intuitively use an Apple computer... it is because she is a clever Granny.

Finally a sensible answer on the mac v pc :banana

plod
26-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Just make sure that you are buying quality RAM.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but cheap RAM sucks.

The point of upgrading at the point of sale is that you are not discarding the 2x 512 MB that comes onboard.

Manufacturers fill the two available RAM slots to make 1 GB with 2 x 512 or 2 GB with 2 x 1 GB... why? Because it is cheaper.
This completely bites. Makes my grumpy as.

In regards to the cat on the MacBook Air. The kid who told me is trustworthy... so I have no reason not to believe him.
I find the story funny... even, if it turns out to be bogus:clap.
The point I was making about upgrading ram after purchase is that it is cheaper even if you discard the ram the laptop came with.

myke
28-10-2008, 10:04 AM
The point I was making about upgrading ram after purchase is that it is cheaper even if you discard the ram the laptop came with.

Just as long as the new RAM isn't rubbish.
Also any warrantee issues or trouble shooting could be a little messy if faulty non-Apple RAM is causing the problem.

If upgrading at point of sale is going to add less complication to dealing with Apple's customer care support... I'd probably advise that folks bite the bullet and spend the extra dollars.

RAM is one thing that you really don't want to go too budget on.
I mean the quality of the RAM... not necessarily the price.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

GameJunkie
28-10-2008, 10:07 AM
cheers myke,

the place im looking at buying it from i've brought alot of stuff from them so hopefully should get a good deal for the ram upgrade.