PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer DvD problems

supersi
23-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Vista Ultimate 64
4GB RAM
Nero 8
Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA DvD writer

Whenever I put a burnt Dual Layer DvD into my PC to view the contents windows explorer hangs. Other programs such as firefox take ages to open.
When I put in a blank DvD DL it's fine. I can explore the disk and nothing else hangs

The firmware on DvD writer (dual layer capable) is up to date, I seem to have enough free space on my OS partition (30GB)

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2008, 11:32 AM
What program did you use, to burn whatever to the dvd? Nero or Vista??

Trev
23-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Try this.
Click on Pearl (aka start)
- Type Device Manager in the Start Search field.
- When Device Manager loads then go down to the DVD/CD-ROM drives selection
- Right click on each drive in question then choose UNINSTALL
- Reboot your PC or click on the little icon just below the help (when you put your mouse over it, it should say 'scan for hardware changes'.

This SHOULD resolve your issue.

Note: If you have any DVD Burning software installed or iTunes or any OLD CD burning software this will cause unwanted issues also and a CLEAN BOOT might be necessary.
:)

supersi
23-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Try this.
Click on Pearl (aka start)
- Type Device Manager in the Start Search field.
- When Device Manager loads then go down to the DVD/CD-ROM drives selection
- Right click on each drive in question then choose UNINSTALL
- Reboot your PC or click on the little icon just below the help (when you put your mouse over it, it should say 'scan for hardware changes'.

This SHOULD resolve your issue.

Note: If you have any DVD Burning software installed or iTunes or any OLD CD burning software this will cause unwanted issues also and a CLEAN BOOT might be necessary.

CLEAN BOOT?

wainuitech
23-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Clean Boot Explained here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796)

supersi
23-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Couldn't I just use a 3rd party app like Startup Inspector for Windows?

wainuitech
23-10-2008, 01:01 PM
What happens if you try a commercial DVD , like the ones Supplied on PC World Mags - Does it still hang, or only on ones you created ??

Is it only DL DVD's or single layer as well ??

supersi
24-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Is there a free alternative to the OEM Nero 8 I got with my DvD writer?
I'm sick of Nero it constantly gives me problems and also tries to sell me more of their crappy software when I start it up.

Speedy Gonzales
24-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Use cdburnerxp its free. Or Imgburn which burns ISO's / data cd's I think

Not too sure what else it can do, I've never used it

gary67
24-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Burn aware free is great and now has Bluray support too, does CD, DVD, Iso's and Bluray

Trev
24-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Is there a free alternative to the OEM Nero 8 I got with my DvD writer?
I'm sick of Nero it constantly gives me problems and also tries to sell me more of their crappy software when I start it up.
I have the same drive as you, and use Nero 8 OEM with no problems, but use XP Home SP3. Must be a Vista thing.