PDA

View Full Version : PPPoA vs PPPoE and pfSense / m0n0wall as a Router

Chilling_Silence
23-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Alrighty,

So Im playing around with m0n0wall specifically (Have used pfSense in the past, but m0n0wall is easier to get going on the Alix 2c3), and Ive always wondered this:
It says PPPoE, the ISPs settings go in there.
Does this mean this device can terminate a connection instead of my DSL modem if my connection with my ISP is a PPPoE connection?
I have a client the next suburb over who has a connection with Telstra, theirs is PPPoE, yet another client who's about 300m further down the road has the same plan with Telstra yet Telstra told us to use PPPoA for my second client.

Do all ISP's offer PPPoE? Or most? Can I request a change from PPPoA to PPPoE? Or can i just simply change the settings in my router ADSL to PPPoE and have it "just work"? So does that mean I can use something like m0n0wall? Or an Asus WL-520gU running DD-WRT?

Any light that can be shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

Safari
23-10-2008, 06:41 AM
All broadband from Telecom network is PPPoA
Telstra cable uses PPPoE I believe

This from REPORT FOR THE COMMERCE COMMISSION
ON NEW ZEALAND BROADBAND
PERFORMANCE

The DSL services owned and controlled by TelstraClear are described as 'on-net';
those resold from Telecom are described as 'off-net' as TelstraClear does not own
access to the customer in these circumstances. As a consequence, Epitiro tracks
three distinct TelstraClear DSL services;
• PPPoA “Off-Net”: This is the Telecom DSL service TelstraClear resells in
certain parts of the country where it does not have its own network
coverage;
• PPPoA “On-Net”: This technology is used by TelstraClear ADSL
services when offered over TelstraClear’s own network via Alcatel
DSLAMs;
• PPPoE “On-Net”: This is an alternative technology used by TelstraClear
ADSL services, when offered over TelstraClear’s own network via
Ericsson DSLAMs.

Chilling_Silence
23-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Well this customer is definitely PPPoE, ran out and fluffed around today with it briefly.
Definitely need a modem running in half-bridge or something though, plugging a cable directly into the WAN port was a no-go :(

Bummer :(