PDA

View Full Version : Connect to device using mac address

andy
21-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi all,
just wondering, is it possible to connect to a specific device on the web by using its mac address? I have a topfield pvr connected to my network and am wondering if I can do this rather than get a fixed IP address to enable the remote programming facility.
Cheers.
andy

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 03:21 PM
If the device is connected to your network, give it a reserved DHCP address, that way it will always be the same and you can then use the IP address...

I didnt know they had ethernet!!

andy
21-10-2008, 03:59 PM
The pvr has a fixed ip on my network, but I want to get at it from the outside world. I had a fixed ip from Dyndns but it was a hassle keeping it current. I just wondered if I could use the mac addy instead over the net. It was quite handy being able to set it to record when I was at work and hadn't set it up. Just dial up on the net and set it all to go.

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 04:14 PM
The pvr has a fixed ip on my network, but I want to get at it from the outside world. I had a fixed ip from Dyndns but it was a hassle keeping it current. I just wondered if I could use the mac addy instead over the net. It was quite handy being able to set it to record when I was at work and hadn't set it up. Just dial up on the net and set it all to go.

WOW, that sounds cools....however no to your answer of remote using MAC addys, as they can be faked!!, therefore you might end up somewhere else...

andy
21-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep, it is cool. Its a TF6000PVRE 2 tuner model (I think there is now a newer one out - the 7000). Freeview is great. Wish it had Prime - but you can't have everything. I might see what it costs for a fixed IP and maybe set up my own server. So much to learn, so little spare time. Sigh!:)

somebody
21-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Short answer is no - outside of your immediate network, the MAC address means nothing.

MushHead
21-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I second somebody - the transport layer outside your LAN doesn't necessarily use MAC addresses at all - after all, it isn't ethernet any more & I think the underlying protocol at the internet/ISP/telco end (eg ATM or whatever) may encapsulate TCP/IP in a completely different way to ethernet.

But...

Quite a few routers have the ability to update the DynDNS server automatically when the router's IP address changes - have you checked that?

Failing that, your router might support alternate firmware (eg DD-WRT, Tomato) that will.