PDA

View Full Version : RAID 0 configuration

Tony
21-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a PC with disks set up as RAID 0. So far, so good. I'm replacing the motherboard - see this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93186).

I've set the BIOS to RAID, but the system only sort of recognises my configuration. It sees there is a RAID array, but only recognises one of the disks, and reports the other as "free space". If I try to install Vista, the setup can't find any disks.

I've been told that because I've change mobo, it is likely I will have to reconfigure rhe RAID, which presumably means I will lose all the data on the disks. This is not a disaster, as I have backups, but will be a PITA to recover.

Can anyone tell me whether I can regain my "old" configuration?

BTW if I go back to the old mobo, the system boots up fine, so there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the disks.

Speedy Gonzales
21-10-2008, 02:58 PM
If it cant see the hdd (if youre trying to install Windows on it).

It probably needs the SATA drivers. Thats if theyre SATA hdd's

And I would say if its another mobo, (if its not the same as the previous mobo), you'll probably have to start from scratch

Tony
21-10-2008, 03:06 PM
And I would say if its another mobo, (if its not the same as the previous mobo), you'll probably have to start from scratchThat's what I've been told, and what I don't get. I thought (obviously wrongly) that RAID 0 was a standard, and should be portable.

They are definitely SATA HDDs. It all works fine with the other mobo. There are RAID drivers on the new mobo DVD - at what point do I install them - and how? The DVD puts files onto a floppy, but that is not bootable, so I'm not sure how to do it if I haven't got an OS.

Speedy Gonzales
21-10-2008, 03:14 PM
RAID maybe standard, but then it'll have different drivers for a start.

Since (if) its a different mobo.

And it'll probably crash, if you manage to install Vista on it. Since it'll know what was there before, and its not there now, if the mobo is different

Usually you put the floppy (with the RAID drivers in the drive), during the install (Press F6 ). Altho I dont know what it says in Vista. I dont use Vista

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 03:19 PM
RAID array info is always held on the disks, however if the chipset\controllers for the array are different versions or chipset, then you will lose your array.

Tony
21-10-2008, 06:22 PM
OK, thanks for the (rather depressing) info.:crying