PDA

View Full Version : New LCD TV causing flicker in projector when plugged in

wratterus
21-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Long complicated one here folks. :)

Friend's ancient 35" Sony CRT TV blew up the other day, they purchased a 40" Sony V series LCD off trademe, it's under a year old. I could waffle on for ages about how awesome the TV is, but I won't. :D

They have a Mitsi projector set up, which is connected to the video out on the TV (for Sky/VCR) and S-Video (for DVD).

Whenever the TV is plugged in (doesn't have to be turned on) there is a flicker on the projected image, very noticeable, not there before. Unplug the TV from the power, the flicker goes away. If the TV power is plugged into a different set of plugs (on a different circuit we think) the flicker goes away.

The silly thing is the projector is fine with Sky, but if we connected the DVD player up with the same method the flicker is there. Tried turning progressive scanning on and off etc, but it's not that, as the flicker is on the splash screen of the DVD player (Philips) as well and during a video being played, and with RCA and S-Video, and yet if you unplug the TV from the power, the flicker goes away no matter what type of cable is begin used to get the video signal to the projector.

Have tried unplugging cables etc etc, it's definitely not interference on the A/V side of things, but some kind of power occurrence, where the TV is causing problems with the projector.

The circuit in question has a heap of stuff connected to it. TV, Home Theater System, VCR, DVD, SKY, Sub, Projector, pool pump, outside lights, and electric gate. Wondering if too much power is being drawn and causing the problems?

We've found out at least what's causing it, and how to fix it, but it would be great to know why this is happening and if there's a way of fixing it without having to run an extension cable for the TV.

Any suggestions, or expressions of how flummoxed you are aswell will be greatly appreciated. :p

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Have you tried connecting the projector up thru the HT, i mean thats what its for, not the bypass out of the TV!!

wratterus
21-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific about the HT. It's not a real HT, just does 5.1 audio. got a CD stacker, tape deck, receiver etc, just no DVD player or video inputs/outputs.

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific about the HT. It's not a real HT, just does 5.1 audio. got a CD stacker, tape deck, receiver etc, just no DVD player or video inputs/outputs.

Oh....ummm. okay, bummer.

If the TV is less than a year old, perhaps warranty as it obviously has issues bypassing the video back out and is sensitive to power supply....or something.

Might be a start...LOL, get a full refund from the shop...LOL

wratterus
21-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh....ummm. okay, bummer.
That's very similar to what I said last night :D

If the TV is less than a year old, perhaps warranty as it obviously has issues bypassing the video back out and is sensitive to power supply....or something.

Might be a start...LOL, get a full refund from the shop...LOL

Heh, I'm pretty sure they got a proof of purchase with the TV, they only paid 1k for it, bargain of the century. Full refund would be nice :lol:

It sure does appear to be a sensitive PSU type thing, I don't know enough about the way power works to try and remedy it though. :dogeye:

Q man
21-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Howdy

I have the same tv 40" vseries and a panasonic pae700 projector.

I have hooked it up that way before and it didnt look very flash compared to HDMI (Obviously) but didnt give any flickers.

The problem with mine is you have to run such a long cable for the projector and a cheap one or say and RCA is very susceptible to interference.

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Doesnt matter who originally purchased the TV I dont think, it should still be under warranty!

wratterus
21-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Q, and @ Sol, yeah it will still be under warranty, which is good, if it does actually turn out to be a fault with the TV.

Q man
21-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Bargain of the century. Thanks

I paid $2400 for mine

And im still paying for it!!!

wratterus
21-10-2008, 04:15 PM
:dogeye:

My friends got it off someone who was moving into a fully furnished apartment, they were pretty much selling all their stuff off dirt cheap.

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Me, i'd phone the shop and tell them they have to come around and fix it.....too easy!