PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard??

pctek
21-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Monitor gives no signal, not the graphics - I tried a separate card, HDD doesn't load, remove RAM and no BIOS beeps.

Motherboard you reckon? Or CPU?
Haven't got a spare CPU to try it............

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 08:20 AM
No post at all?.....any bloated caps?, CMOS reset?

wainuitech
21-10-2008, 08:24 AM
As a guess - Chances are more it will be a dead board than a CPU. Boards as you know tend to fail a lot more than CPU's. Does the CPU fan even fire up?

pctek
21-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Nothing obvious on the board.

Its an ASUS A8M2N-LA - a Compaq one. Reset BIOS, nothing.

Case fan goes, CPU fan goes, thats it, nothing else.
Its not Graphics or PSU either.

I suspect board, yes CPU is unusual...........especially if the board was OK you'd think I'd get beeps with the RAM out.

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I suppose you dont have another board to test the CPU....however, yeah, I'd say board before CPU failure....

What about the PSU, is it sending enough juice, you didnt say if that had been tested...

pctek
21-10-2008, 08:36 AM
I suppose you dont have another board to test the CPU....however, yeah, I'd say board before CPU failure....

What about the PSU, is it sending enough juice, you didnt say if that had been tested...
I plugged my workshop Enermax into it, which is a million times better than the thing in the Compaq, so no, PSU is eliminated.

I've ordered another board - I just thought I'd get a 2nd opinion here.

I should really get a couple of low end CPUs to have laying about for testing I guess, but then theres all the old sockets too - how much crap do I want.........

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I plugged my workshop Enermax into it, which is a million times better than the thing in the Compaq, so no, PSU is eliminated.

I've ordered another board - I just thought I'd get a 2nd opinion here.

I should really get a couple of low end CPUs to have laying about for testing I guess, but then theres all the old sockets too - how much crap do I want.........

agreed, unless you have some testing equipment, usually diagnostics is about swapping with known good components.....

wratterus
21-10-2008, 08:42 AM
agreed, unless you have some testing equipment, usually diagnostics is about swapping with known good components.....

Yep, CPUs so rarely fail anyway, and normally if they do, there's clues. And if the board (or CPU) is so old you can't get a CPU (or board) to fit it, well...doesn't make much difference which one it is! New CPU/Mobo/RAM and maybe PSU.

Speedy Gonzales
21-10-2008, 08:47 AM
It looks like this has a card reader, and a 300W PSU??

And this (the card reader), can cause over voltage, and cause it to shut down / not boot.

Try unplugging the card reader

pctek
21-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Ok, thanks guys.
I stopped being lazy and took the shop PC apart, (sigh, music stops etc...) and the CPU and other bits are fine.

So new board time.

What a pity I have to put it into that nasty case with its nasty PSU.