PDA

View Full Version : Freezing help please

sammo450
20-10-2008, 03:00 PM
My computer has a habit of freezing either (seemingly) randomly, or at specific points in particular videos. I have tried removing my graphics card and running the onboard VGA, removing modem, and putting a bigger PSU in. I also recently moved everything to a new motherboard, which froze when windows tried to start, and when loading setup from the install disc. Can anyone help?
FIC AM37 (tried K7S5A (not sure of manufacturer))
768Mb RAM
nVidia Geforce MX440
AMD K7 Duron 1100Mhz
Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 7200rpm

wainuitech
20-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Okay - the components that have been changed;

Motherboard
PSU
Modem
Graphic Card

Only items left are Hard Drive, CPU, memory and optical drive.

Have you tried doing a Memory Test ??

If not Download Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) ( click Free Download on left) Download the Zipped ISO, extract it - burn the ISO image using the ISO burning section of your burning software to a blank CD, boot from that CD and let it run through at least twice. See if it comes up with any errors.

pctek
20-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I also recently moved everything to a new motherboard,
FIC AM37 (tried K7S5A (not sure of manufacturer))

Did you reinstall drivers for this particular motherboard? You can't just bung in your drive and expect WIndows to sort it, good way to get crashes.....

And the motherboard you mention above is by ECS, not known for being the most reliable.

sammo450
20-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Yep done memtest - no problems there. I couldn't install drivers for the ecs - I couldn't get into windows. Could it possibly be the gpu overheating? I'm not running a stock cooler. It has an old cpu cooler on it which does feel a bit warm.

wainuitech
20-10-2008, 10:04 PM
As Pctek said - you cant just change the hardware esp the Motherboard and it will work - the reason windows wont load could be wrong drivers, if it were the same make and model of board it usually will, or if the components are close to being the same as the old ones - Maybe - if the Memtest runs OK then you may have to reinstall windows or at the least do a repair install for the new hardware.

sammo450
20-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I would have loved to do a repair install, but it froze while 'loading setup'.

wainuitech
21-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Before you changed the components, and it froze, were you using the Optical drive to play the Video's or were they playing from the Hard Drive ?

Also try cleaning the XP CD. If that doesn't work try another Optical Drive or first try changing the ribbons.
It could be a process of elimination to find out where the problem is.
While its not impossible the CPU could also be faulty - has it ever been overclocked.

sammo450
21-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Not as far as I know. It has the stock heatsink with a replacement fan. Videos were playing from the HDD, I've never had problems watching DVDs, but I did try playing AVIs from the DVD drive once and it froze.

wainuitech
21-10-2008, 08:57 AM
What type / sort of Videos are they, and where were they obtained ?

SolMiester
21-10-2008, 09:30 AM
In order to move an existing windows installation from one motherboard to the other, you HAVE to uninstall all the chipset, HDD, Audio & NIC drivers before hand so when windows boots up on the new board it doesnt load drivers for product no longer installed, but prompts for drivers for the new system.....

Ultimately, while possible, you would of been better off, moving your data off the hard drive to removable storage and done a fresh install.

If you are having problem with your install now, I would try removing 1 of your sticks of RAM.

sammo450
21-10-2008, 12:10 PM
The videos are avi and mkv formats, played in VLC. I'll try a fresh install as a last resort. My disk is partitioned so backup should be unnecessary.

wainuitech
21-10-2008, 12:32 PM
The reason I was asking regarding what the videos were/are is sometimes if they have been downloaded from some place or Via a file sharing program, apart from the fact they may be illegal, is the videos could have been corrupted and creating the lockup.

By changing the Motherboard, while that is a test to see if the hardware is faulty, it has also created a second problem - the original OS /Drivers on different hardware can =:groan:bad news.

If you have tried to do a repair install with the XP CD, and thats locking then there is more than likely some hardware problem, dirty CD, or failing IDE/SATA ribbons, or other hardware problem. Even with a OS installed the Windows CD should run through giving the option to repair or format/reinstall the OS.