PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Acer laptop woes

Chilling_Silence
20-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

So both my younger brother & my fiances laptops are overheating.

My younger brother has just sent his back to DSE to be fixed, got it back a day or two ago. In the War3 Map Editor today and it overheated. His has a Celeron CPU.

My fiance was copying some music with iTunes, I think hers has an Athlon CPU. Overheated.

Both were on desks at the time with plenty of space around them.

I know with my Asus EeePC's I can underclock the CPU, how possible is it to do this on a generic scale?
The fans on both work fine... both are different models (My fiances is around 9 months older).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

jwil1
20-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Trya cooling pad underneath than or raise them up by using books in each corner.

And don't buy Acer :D

wratterus
20-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Have you opened up the lappys and cleaned the dust out of the heatsink? Very common problem, takes a while to fix (as often you have to completley dismantle the lappy) but it's worth it.

Not uncommon to see a 1/2 cm think line of dust right along the heatsink cooling fins, effectively rendering the fan useless.

Just like this (http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/clogged-laptop-heatsink.jpg) and this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Laptop_dust.jpg).

CYaBro
20-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Was/are the CPUs running at 100% or close to it when they are overheating?

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah the CPU usage is are running generally quite high when they die, like in a game or when iTunes encodes music...

Pulled them both apart to see if there was dust in the fan but nothing, didnt really thing to inspect the Heatsinks terribly closely, might do that tomorrow :)

And yes, Acer, I know... ;)

Tbird650
10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
A dying battery can cause high cpu usage and in turn overheat everything. They run fine without the battery connected and only need the power adaptor from mains. I think our two were only a couple of years old when their batteries became unusable for this reason. Exactly why & how battery condition can spike cpu usage is unclear but try it.... it worked for me!
Hope this helps. Good luck.

pctek
10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
So both my younger brother & my fiances laptops are overheating.

Shame. You let them buy Acers.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Ha!

If I had it my way they'd have Asus or Toshiba's ... Even Compaq havent been too bad of late in terms of reliability and bang-for-buck!

CYaBro
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Shame. You let them buy Acers.

Never mind.