PDA

View Full Version : DATA MISSING!!!

benj27
18-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I was using my External Hard Drive and i shutdown the PC by accident. i switched it on and when i got back into it my whole folder with my MOST IMPORTANT things were gone!

MY GAMES, MOVIES, RECORDED TV SERIES and other DATA. Its just missing, nowhere to be seen. When i see the bar on how much free space i have it still says 58GB. Its a 500GB external. and the data i lost was about 320GB. :crying

What do you guys think went wrong and how do i fix this??????

i have tried a few recovery programs but it doesnt seem to work.

PLEASE HELP :crying :crying :crying :crying

pctek
19-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Which drive was this stuff on, the external or internal?

benj27
19-10-2008, 12:13 PM
external Hard Drive......

Error Message:

E:\STUFF\DDRIVE\Ben refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a networ. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

wainuitech
19-10-2008, 01:43 PM
When you see the Bar I assume its from Computer ( assuming its Vista, as XP would show a pie chart) Right click the drive and select Explore - what do you get ??

benj27
19-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I get all my other 14 folders excpet my "STUFF" folder which pretty much has everything in it.

Btw the error message i posted above refers to my 'STUFF' folder or anything that was in it.

benj27
19-10-2008, 11:39 PM
OK i have a demo of a recovery program that has found ALL of the files and folders... lol one problem.. my parents dont use credit cards so i cant buy it. This sux hard i know the files are there and im gonna have to find a way of buying this program. its 117NZD.

Know of any way buying online when you dont have a credit card?

beeswax34
20-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Have you tried Recuva?

www.recuva.com/

Blam
20-10-2008, 12:28 AM
And try Active@Recovery, I have great successes with it.
You could get a prezzy card from the post office, it costs $5 extra than the amount you load on it (max $500) and it works just like a credit card.
Have you tried booting into a UBCD or linux live CD to see if you can see the data?

beama
20-10-2008, 06:03 AM
there are a couple of data recovery programs available at http://www.snapfiles.com Ive used one of them with success. One has already been mentioned by beewax and they are freeware.

Also I have found in the past a live linux cd is also handy in these cases. Often they will read A file system that windows says is corrupt therefore allowing recovery of data.

benj27
20-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks a lot guys i will try out these solutions and give you the results :)

If all else fails i will get that prezzy card from the post office.

wratterus
20-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Also getdataback (http://www.runtime.org/) for ntfs. I've had great success with that program.

benj27
20-10-2008, 05:08 PM
ok Recuva is working it has found all of my data. Now i just need another HDD in order to save the files...

Thanks heaps for your help i thought it would have cost me my Far Cry 2 Money fortunatley i looked for help in this forum...

Really thanks heaps, you guys have made a sad kid happy again :banana

:thumbs:

Blam
20-10-2008, 07:25 PM
NP:D