PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny 'On switch' delay

ssssss
18-10-2008, 10:47 PM
One of my computers is a DSE Scoop2400, which inspite of being cheap when I bought it, has given good service.
However recently when I press the On switch to turn it on, there is a delay of about 20 seconds between pressing the switch, and anything at all happening. Then the computer starts and boots normally.
If you understand what I mean, can you tell me how it could possibly be?:illogical

CI Sue
19-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Is the computer used everyday or just occasionally?

Does the CMOS battery need replacing?

beama
19-10-2008, 09:48 AM
go inside check all the connections and while there take note of the power supply type and wattage you may need this latter

ssssss
19-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Is the computer used everyday or just occasionally?

Does the CMOS battery need replacing?

Hi CI Sue,

The computer is used nearly every day.

If I use the computer for a while, turn it off, then restart it, the switch works straight away.

Could be the battery, but the computer is 4-5 years old, and I thought the battery should last longer.

ssssss
19-10-2008, 11:49 AM
go inside check all the connections and while there take note of the power supply type and wattage you may need this latter

Hi beama,

Am not too keen on opening the computer - till it fails altogether anyway.

CI Sue
19-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Could be the battery, but the computer is 4-5 years old, and I thought the battery should last longer.

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. You can do it yourself and it's a cheap and easy fix if that is the problem so it wouldn't hurt to change it.

Buy the battery from the supermarket, not Dick Smith, etc as they charge more.

tweak'e
19-10-2008, 04:59 PM
proberly power supply starting to fail. needs to warm up a bit before it can supply the power fully.