PDA

View Full Version : Big Hard drive problem

nedkelly
18-10-2008, 01:42 PM
:help: :help: Hey i had my mates laptop had drive connected to my pc copying some files to it so i could reinstall win95 when it hung trying to copy a file over then windows said explorer just recovered from a problem with the send or dont error report window and when i opened the hdd from my computer all the files were gone:horrified :badpc: that were ment to be there and there were only some files with wierd sybols as file names.
Is there any way to get the missing files back?
Please say yes, Please say yes, Please say yes:dogeye:

wainuitech
18-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Okay --Yes yes yes :D Seriously :nerd: If you were only copying, the originals should still be in the same location, its only a copy.

If you reboot it should pick up the original files as explorer crashed and doesn't always recover correctly, the original files shouldn't have gone anywhere, unless of course there has been some sort of hardware failure.

nedkelly
18-10-2008, 02:13 PM
yeah but the thing is it was the laptop hard drive that lost all of its files

wainuitech
18-10-2008, 02:34 PM
As mentioned if it was only copying then they "should" still be there. If they were Cutting/paste thats a different story (sometimes). There is a possibility the Laptop drive has structural problems on the Disk, and this is what caused explorer to crash in the first place. If it originally was a 95 HD, its age would suggest it may have possibly failed.

You can try a free data recovery program like Recuva (http://www.recuva.com/) - install it on the PC and when run aim it at the Laptop HD, see if it will locate the files.

Personally Never tried Recuva as I use a Paid recovery program, but it wont hurt.

gary67
18-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Recuva works some of the time have used it once to recover some pics unfortunately it found lots but not the ones I was looking for

pctek
18-10-2008, 03:54 PM
copying some files

all the files were gone:horrified :badpc: that were ment to be there and there were only some files with wierd sybols as file names.
Is there any way to get the missing files back?

You COPIED them, therefore re-copy them from the other location.
If the file system on the suspect drive is NTFS then its fairly easy - assuming the drive isn't knackered, which I suspect it is.

They aren't gone - they are corrupted.