PDA

View Full Version : Start button functionality is lost

Zippity
18-10-2008, 01:32 PM
How do I retrieve (without rebooting) the Start button function on my Taskbar?

I am running XP Pro and every so often, without logical reason, my Start button loses functionality - if I left click on it, nothing happens/appears.

wainuitech
18-10-2008, 02:11 PM
You can try this - while its working click on the Start button, goto run and type in regsvr32.exe jscript.dll then click OK.

You can also try start/run and type in sfc /scannow Click OK, you may need your XP CD if it asks for it.

Slight Addition to topic ---

Two icons I have on the desktop also, I call Fast Shutdown and Fast Restart shortcuts, this saves having to click start/Turn Off Computer Shutdown/restart. You simply double click the one you want and the PC either shuts down or restarts. To create these shortcuts.

Right click the desktop, select New -> Shortcut. A Create Shortcut window will open. In the box type in shutdown.exe -s -t 0 (for Shutdown Function) or shutdown.exe -r -t 0 (for Restart Function) click next and call it what ever you want. You will then have a new Shortcut, right click it/properties / change icon - Select any of the default Icons in Windows, or navigate to any you may have - you can also select a shortcut key if you want. I got CTRL+ALT+S for (almost) instant shutdown.

Zippity
18-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Metla
18-10-2008, 09:44 PM
ctrl-alt-delete,shut down, Log off USER NAME, This will bounce you back to the login screen, Select your user account and get logged back onto your desktop.

Takes a few seconds and presumably just reboots windows explorer.

Anyway, try it.

Zippity
19-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks Metla.

That worked a treat :)

Blam
19-10-2008, 07:03 PM
wmic process where name="explorer.exe" call Terminate
Right click desktop>select new>shortcut.
Paste in above.

Whenever the start button doesn't work double click it.
Or, even better, you can add it to quick lauch:D