PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor external drive - is having FAT32 a potential problem ?

Misty
18-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I have virtually decided to buy a Maxtor OneTouch 4 mini to do mainly imaging and some backups (ran into too much problems with Acronis True Image).

My query is
the Maxtor is FAT32 and my PC and laptop have almost wholly NTFS. As far as I understand it this should not be a big problem. I would leave it as is and everything should work fine :) Very preferably would not be keen to reformat the Maxtor as NTFS because as soon as I meddle where it's not necessary ..........:waughh:

One worry is the limit on file sizes in FAT32 (perhaps)

Is my thinking correct please ? I have read so many reviews etc, etc that I could be wrong on any point :confused:
Misty

Jen
18-10-2008, 08:41 AM
FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 gigs. If you are saving an "image" file, then this may go over the 4 gig mark. A quick google suggests these drives may come with a program called "SafetyDrill", which is used for backups. If you have this installed, then read the documentation as it may suggest your drive has to be NTFS for it to work.

Misty
18-10-2008, 09:50 AM
FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 gigs. If you are saving an "image" file, then this may go over the 4 gig mark. A quick google suggests these drives may come with a program called "SafetyDrill", which is used for backups. If you have this installed, then read the documentation as it may suggest your drive has to be NTFS for it to work.
Thanks Jen - useful info. I have read about SafetyDrill but haven't got it installed because I haven't yet made the final decision to buy the Maxtor. Still researching as it seems to be good in many respects (just a couple of worries remaining)
Misty :)

Misty
18-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Update
I now have conflicting info because this thread says the Maxtor external drive that I am looking to buy is formatted in NTFS
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244810-32-partition-maxtor-onetouch-external-hard-drive

I have been to Noel Leeming this morning and the guy there didn't know - he said that the drive is blank and doesn't have any file system !! (??) Either he knows something that I don't or... ;)

The box doesn't say anything.

Before anyone else wastes any time I will now go to the Maxtor website and see if I can glean further info.
Misty

feersumendjinn
18-10-2008, 10:23 AM

feersumendjinn
18-10-2008, 10:25 AM
This

How is the OneTouch 4 drive initially formatted?

The OneTouch 4 drive comes initially formatted with the NTFS File System and is ready for use with Windows XP/Vista computers.
If using with a Mac, the drive will be formatted for use during software installation. Refer to the Quick Start Guide included with your OneTouch 4 drive (or on Seagate's Website) for installation procedures.
from here
http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4474#26

Misty
18-10-2008, 01:21 PM
This

from here
http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4474#26
Aaah feersumendjinn
Thanks, alas I am behind the times as had not realised that Seagate had taken over Maxtor -- in about 2005 !!

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Seagate_Technology_To__Acquire_Maxtor_Corpora tion&vgnextoid=1e8a814fef83e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Misty :o

beama
18-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a One touch external Maxtor, fat 32, came with that file system.

If you are making drive images and worried about file sizes just say no bigger than 650 meg. That way you can burn them cdr later if you wish.Most imaging software I've come across allow you to set max file size you just end up with multiple files for one complete image.

pctek
18-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Uthe Maxtor external drive that I am looking to buy is formatted in NTFS

Noel Leeming said that the drive is blank and doesn't have any file system !!

Misty
It doesn't really matter. I've always bought drives andd enclosures separate so my drives have needed setting up first.
Format it in whatever you like, you can't hurt it.
There is the 4GB limitation as has been said already but unless you have movies you want to back up then thats not likely to be an issue.
I move files back and forth between NTFS and FAT32 drives all the time and its no problem.

One minor note: If the drive dies in some way, file retrieval software has more success with NTFS than with FAT, there are a couple of programs that do FAT well but most don't because of the differences in the way files and file info is stored (and more importnatly they couldn't be bothered because Its so easy with NTFS).

Either way, I'd buy a Seagate over a Maxor any day.

Misty
18-10-2008, 06:14 PM
It doesn't really matter. I've always bought drives andd enclosures separate so my drives have needed setting up first.
Format it in whatever you like, you can't hurt it.
There is the 4GB limitation as has been said already but unless you have movies you want to back up then thats not likely to be an issue.
I move files back and forth between NTFS and FAT32 drives all the time and its no problem.

One minor note: If the drive dies in some way, file retrieval software has more success with NTFS than with FAT, there are a couple of programs that do FAT well but most don't because of the differences in the way files and file info is stored (and more importnatly they couldn't be bothered because Its so easy with NTFS).

Either way, I'd buy a Seagate over a Maxor any day.
Thanks pctek
Always good to hear your advice. Am reassured because it now seems clear that the drive is NTFS, not FAT 32 as first seemed to be the indication. Seagate now own Maxtor, but presumably some features remain different.
Misty :)

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Er Maxtor was acquired by Seagate in 2006. And is a subsidiary of Seagate

So, whats the diff?

Misty
18-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Er Maxtor was acquired by Seagate in 2006. And is a subsidiary of Seagate

So, whats the diff?
Hi SG
Well, for instance Progressive Enterprises own Foodtown and Pizza Hut, but the end products are slightly different ;)

Presumably Seagate might continue some features of Maxtor that are a wee bit different than their standard product, but capture a niche audience (great the terms you learn on Cambell Live !!) :2cents:
Misty