PDA

View Full Version : Registory Restoration at bootup

26-05-2001, 12:09 PM
I have a K6-II 366 using win98, when i start up my computer i found this error msg coming up telling me that i need to replace the registory file, when it's finishing replace the registory file, it tell's me to restart, after i've restarted the same thing happens agn...I'm getting very annoyed with this and i dont no what to do with it...

If u could could help i'd strongly appreciate it

Thx

26-05-2001, 06:55 PM
Your registry has become corrupt and is now in a loop where Windows is trying to restore it. The problem is that the backup copy that it is restoring is damaged too. I have had this problem and I ended up having to format my hard drive and start again. You could try starting the computer with a bootable floppy disk such as your Windows startup disk if you have it, and then reinstall Windows from DOS.

26-05-2001, 07:48 PM
Hi,

Microsoft has kindly supplied some basic tools to assist with this very problem. Press F8 when the message 'Starting Windows 98 ...' appears on your screen, select the option to boot to the command prompt. At the command prompt type scanreg /fix, this will attempt to repair the problem.

If windows is still unable to fix the problem you could try resoring a previous copy of the registry. Type scanreg with no parameters, this will hopefully give you the option to restore one of five backups that were created during previous successful startups.

All the best,
Tristan

27-05-2001, 04:16 AM
I had this problem on a computer recently. It kept saying the Registry was damaged, and after repair said to reboot. On restart it went throught the same cycle. The problem was due to insufficient free space on the hard dive (which was preventing the Registry updating). You should be able to start in Safe Mode and delete unwanted files (eg. temp files, temp internet files, files in the Recycle Bin, etc).