PDA

View Full Version : Wifi 101, some info please...

John W
17-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi there

We have recently installed a Wifi syatem here at home, password protected etc. But im wondering whats gong to happen when we stay at a motel or holiday complex that advertises free Wifi, and I want to connect.

How will I enable a new "session" at the motel, do I open a Wifi connection tab in my EeePC and enter the motel supplied password (assuming they supply / have one) then when we return home re-enter the home password.

Thanks

John in Mosgiel.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2008, 06:41 PM
It should pick it up, when youre near a hotspot.

Just connect to it, if it isnt password protected

supergran
17-10-2008, 06:49 PM
i Just connect to it, if it isnt password protected

Is that legal, as my computer picked up a wireless one tonight?

somebody
17-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi there

We have recently installed a Wifi syatem here at home, password protected etc. But im wondering whats gong to happen when we stay at a motel or holiday complex that advertises free Wifi, and I want to connect.

How will I enable a new "session" at the motel, do I open a Wifi connection tab in my EeePC and enter the motel supplied password (assuming they supply / have one) then when we return home re-enter the home password.

Thanks

John in Mosgiel.

Are you using the Linux or Windows XP version of the Eee PC?

For the Windows XP one, when you're at the motel your Eee PC should automatically detect the network. You can connect to it by opening up the wireless connection area (right click on the icon in the system tray, click on "View available wireless networks", then click on the motel's network and hit connect. It'll prompt you to enter their WEP/WPA key (or "password") if they have one. When you come home it should still have saved your old settings, so you won't need to set it up again.

For the Linux one, I think the process is very similar. I've got XP on my Eee PC, however I recall that the Xandros had a wireless network configuration area where you could add a new network (i.e. the motel's), set it up, and away it goes. When you get home, you just switch back to your original one.

beeswax34
17-10-2008, 07:31 PM
i Just connect to it, if it isnt password protected

Is that legal, as my computer picked up a wireless one tonight?

Its not legal just to connect to a network, even if it is unsecured without the owner's permission.

lakewoodlady
17-10-2008, 08:18 PM
When you do connect to one, be very careful about not doing any internet banking or personal stuff online.

utopian201
18-10-2008, 09:06 AM
When you do connect to one, be very careful about not doing any internet banking or personal stuff online.

Wireless is safe when you use WPA or WPA2 though...

somebody
18-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Wireless is safe when you use WPA or WPA2 though...

It's safe (enough) from people sniffing the network, but once it leaves the wireless access point it could go through dodgy proxy servers or whatever on the way to the internet, which WPA/WPA2 does not protect you from.

supergran
18-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you for your answer Beeswax. I didn't think it was legal, but thought I would ask here, as i could access it, as I tried, and it took me online, but I came back off in a hurry. LOL

apsattv
18-10-2008, 07:31 PM
You could use a program like WiFI Radar which will scan and conect you to any open wifi access point.

I tested it lastnight conencted easily to local hotspots.

Chilling_Silence
18-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Actually, Encryption doesnt mean its secure, even WPA2:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/10/hackers_use_nvidia_graphics_card_to_smash_wifi_enc ryption_10000_percent_faster-2.html

supergran
19-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Ok, how do I know if I am on the free local wifi server.

I looked, and we have a local free wifi within 2 km's of where I live, and I was wondering if I was picking that up, but I don't know how to tell.

supergran
19-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Does'nt matter now, I went and asked the new neighbours if they were using wireless broadband and told them I can access one around here somewhere on the laptop, so he is making his more secure.