PDA

View Full Version : this program has performed an illegal operation

26-05-2001, 12:39 PM
this appears quite regularly
it has explorer name on top left corner
it locks up everything the mouse arrow will move but it cannot activate anything
my only recourse is to switch off the power (not a good idea)when windows reappears after turning back on it goes through the scan c:drive operation and slows between 52%and 60%. everything is normal until the next random freeze. Can anybody help please--- pretty please.

27-05-2001, 02:52 PM
Windows uses Explorer as the shell and the browser. It uses the same info twice to do this, so if it crashes, the shell also crashes, and that's probably what your problem is.

If you have enough RAM you might like to run 2 Explorers, the easy way to do this is to get X-Setup from www.xteq.com this program lets you change HEAPS of other settings as well.

01-06-2001, 10:45 AM
urning power off should be absolute last option.
Try Windows updates for a patch which may fix problem.
I had this problem after unnamed teenage terroists (my Darling children) started moving files etc etc.If you freeze then at least try control alt delete before last resort turn off

01-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Julie-Ann Brown,
thank you for the time and trouble you have taken to assist, greatly appreciated.
John Grogan

01-06-2001, 12:59 PM
hi Tim, sincere thanks for the time and effort you went to in offering me a solution to my computer problem.
cheers,
John Grogan