PDA

View Full Version : PC Hanging on bootup

Bantu
17-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I have an old PC home made.
ASUS P4V800-X Motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2 CPU, 2Gb Memory

I have a USB Keyboard and Mouse on it.

On Starting it up it hangs for maybe a minute or more before the Keyboard and Mouse become active, once they become active it boots into XP just fine.

I have looked through the BIOS settings to see if there is anything that might speed it up including trying turning off PS/2

It is running the newest BIOS firmware.

Any ideas on what causes the delay.

I think it was a bit like this with the PS/2 mouse/keyboard also.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Look in the forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4V800-X&board_id=1)

Bantu
17-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Speedy but I did not see anything there that helps.

wainuitech
17-10-2008, 10:08 PM
How many other devices do you have connected to the PC ?? printers other USB devices etc.

Also check the Power supply, it could be struggling and not able to provide enough grunt at start up to power every thing at once. What Wattage is it ??

georgeks
17-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I'd say that looks like a HDD issue. Check your S.M.A.R.T. record(s)

Bantu
18-10-2008, 06:05 AM
How many other devices do you have connected to the PC ?? printers other USB devices etc.

Also check the Power supply, it could be struggling and not able to provide enough grunt at start up to power every thing at once. What Wattage is it ??

Only a Hub but nothing connected to it, it is just a hub on the desktop for plugging a flash drive as needed.

PSU is 540W from memory

Bantu
18-10-2008, 06:06 AM
I'd say that looks like a HDD issue. Check your S.M.A.R.T. record(s)

SMART looks ok also. Shows 2 IDE drives, DVD and CD on bootup ok, that is once it gets past the initial ASUS screen

Myth
18-10-2008, 06:25 AM
When you say it hangs, do you mean with a windows screen showing, or way back near the beginning of the boot process (just after boot screen)?
If its near the beginning of the boot process, I would consider backing up any needed data, as it sounds like the harddrive is about to quit

What happens if you use a PS2 keyboard/mouse?

Bantu
18-10-2008, 06:34 AM
No not windows. It hangs on the very first screen the ASUS Logo screen. Normally at that point you can press del to drop into the BIOS setup.

It used to have PS/2 mouse and keyboard but can't remember if it did that then or not. It is just an old spare PC for the kid.

It takes a while before the Keyboard and Wireless mouse lights up also so it may have something to do with loading USB stuff.

Nothing on C drive that needs backed up, an image restores that. It is only OS and Apps.
D drive is backed up to the network HDD regularly so no problem there either.