PDA

View Full Version : XP SP3?

Woody
16-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I've just received SP3 asking me to install it.
Is this a good option?
I've heard one or two negative comments abou sp3, but wouldn't know whether they're justified or not.
Comments would be appreciated.
Cheers

jwil1
16-10-2008, 01:45 PM
What brand of processor do you have? AMD? Intel?

wratterus
16-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Install it, unless you have a HP or Compaq PC with an AMD processor. Then don't install it.

wainuitech
16-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Well it will keep bugging you if you dont install it - Never had any real problems myself after its installed, only 1 I can think about is sometimes the auto Updates from MS goes belly up, but I have always fixed that by running Dial a Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml).

On the odd occasion it has failed to install and got in an endless reboot, couldn't go forward or backwards, BUT this was due to unforeseen problems in the Operating system before hand - you could say " Shaky foundations" :)

Always make a restore point BEFORE installing it, and disable all security, Antivirus/Antispyware/firewalls first.

Edited: Name Brand PC's esp Compaq with AMD CPU's are known to cause problems BUT the patch is Linked Here (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3361271&SiteID=17) or Direct link to HP Download site (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60484-2&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en) it MUST be installed BEFORE installing SP3 After the patch is in SP3 normally goes in fine.

Woody
16-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Guys.
Pentium IV so should be OK I guess.
Thanx again

Trev
16-10-2008, 02:19 PM
The version of XP Home I have, has SP3 embedded in it. No problems.
:)

SolMiester
16-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Always make a restore point BEFORE installing it, and disable all security, Antivirus/Antispyware/firewalls first.

WT, I'm pretty sure SP3 will wipe out any previous restore points as I have gone to try roll back on a service pack that went bad......could be wrong though.....do your pc's have any restore points before SP3?

wainuitech
16-10-2008, 03:27 PM
WT, I'm pretty sure SP3 will wipe out any previous restore points as I have gone to try roll back on a service pack that went bad......could be wrong though.....do your pc's have any restore points before SP3? yep -- SP3 actually makes its own restore point. Had it turn belly up on one occasion and luckily using UBCD managed to run the restore I created. Had it turn belly up as well once before and it ran its own restore back :sleep waiting waiting and then booted OK back into SP2.

NOW - I dont know if it actually got to the point of wiping out the points, or even if it does for that matter - I'll let you know in about an hour and a bit ;) I'm just about to update a customers PC in the workshop with SP3, I'll check the points before and after and advice.

wainuitech
16-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Okay to answer the question from SolMiester, 1 hour and a bit later - the BIT was having to run chkdsk :o
WT, I'm pretty sure SP3 will wipe out any previous restore points as I have gone to try roll back on a service pack that went bad......could be wrong though.....do your pc's have any restore points before SP3? The answer is NO - Previous restore points were not wiped. I checked before installing SP3, many points were in the options for last month September - I made a restore point, installed SP3, then went back into system restore - all restore points, including Septembers were all still there and available.