PDA

View Full Version : MySQL Problems

ubergeek85
16-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi guys. I'm trying to set up phpBB, and for some reason, it can't see my MySQL database. I'm no expert on MySQL, but after having a look around, it appears that the service isn't running. Trying to start it from the task manager give "Access is denied", which is odd because I'm running it as the admin. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

nofam
16-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Erayd is the man to answer this - hopefully he's around???

PM if you're desperate I guess :thumbs:

ubergeek85
16-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Nah, it's not essential. More a sandbox environment.

Erayd
17-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi Geekster,

Can you provide some more details about your environment? Which OS is the server running? Which webserver are you using? Have you set the phpbb database up already, or is that yet to be done?

PM if you're desperate I guessNote to anyone who read that: please do not, *ever*, PM me with a computer question unless I invited you to do so (excepting a few people - you know who you are, if you don't then you're not one of them :rolleyes:). I keep a pretty close eye on the forums, and will generally pick things up as I see them and have the time to do so. Put your problems in a new thread.

If you're really stuck and want me to give you a hand, you've waited a day or so for me to notice the thread, and you can't stand waiting a single second more, then send me a PM with a link to the thread. That way others can also benefit from the information, rather than solving things privately.

nofam
17-10-2008, 07:32 AM
. . . . .Note to anyone who read that: please do not, *ever*, PM me with a computer question unless I invited you to do so (excepting a few people - you know who you are, if you don't then you're not one of them :rolleyes:). I keep a pretty close eye on the forums, and will generally pick things up as I see them and have the time to do so. Put your problems in a new thread.

If you're really stuck and want me to give you a hand, you've waited a day or so for me to notice the thread, and you can't stand waiting a single second more, then send me a PM with a link to the thread. That way others can also benefit from the information, rather than solving things privately.

Sorry Erayd - no offense intended. I guess we often rely too heavily on members like Speedy/Wainuitech & yourself that have very specific knowledge on things.

Point taken :thumbs:

Erayd
17-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Sorry Erayd - no offense intended. I guess we often rely too heavily on members like Speedy/Wainuitech & yourself that have very specific knowledge on things.

Point taken :thumbs:

No offense taken, I don't mind being relied on for help, and suggesting people PM me was logical :). However the way things are I already have too many new members asking for help via PM, and don't want to encourage more. Plus, if things remain on the forum they can benefit others as well, not just the thread-starter.

ubergeek85
17-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Right. Sorry for the late reply. It's running on Vista. For the webserver, I'm using a program called Xitami. As for setting up the phpbb database, I assumed that would be done during the installation. If you mean 'have I installed MySQL', then yes. To be honest, I'm way outta my league here. PHP and MySQL (or even just plain old SQL) is way out of my league. I only just got PHP working a few days ago (Damn you cgi.force_redirect !). Thanks.

Erayd
17-10-2008, 03:04 PM
OK. First thing, Vista is a stupid choice for a server OS - OK for testing & dev, but don't expect to run a public forum on it.

Secondly, get a proper webserver. The one you're using has been in various forms of beta for 2.5 since 1999. Lighttpd or Apache is probably the easiest, as there are several 'packages' WAMP stacks designed for doing exactly what I suspect you're trying to do.

Regarding MySQL, what do the logs say about it failing to start? If the service fails every time, can you start it from a console and watch the output? What happens if you put it in debugging mode?

ubergeek85
17-10-2008, 03:19 PM
When I go to the /bin directory and run mysql.exe it says:
ERROR 2003 <HY000>: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' <10061>

As for the webserver, I suppose it doesn't matter what I use. I'll check out those others now.

somebody
17-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/web/channel/products/WebApplicationInstaller.aspx

Erayd
18-10-2008, 01:05 PM
When I go to the /bin directory and run mysql.exe it says:
ERROR 2003 <HY000>: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' <10061>

As for the webserver, I suppose it doesn't matter what I use. I'll check out those others now.

Wrong program - that one is the client. The server is likely to be named 'mysqld.exe', assuming they use the same filenames on both the Linux and Windows versions.

What happens when you run the server from the terminal? Note you may need to run it in debug mode to get any useful information.

ubergeek85
19-10-2008, 04:05 PM
OK, here's the story now. I can't find a file called mysqld.exe. But there is a file called mysqld-nt.exe. When run, it just sits there for a bit, then exits, with no output whatsoever. Same goes for mysqld-debug.exe. I'm running these in safe mode at the moment too, after just reinstalling it.

It seems to me that for some unknown reason, MySQL just won't start, whatsoever.

Erayd
19-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Mysqld-nt.exe sounds like the one you're after. If you're not getting any output, have you tried starting it with the debug switches?

Leave mysql-debug.exe alone at this point - you probably won't need it.

When starting mysqld-nt.exe from the terminal, did you remember --standalone? It won't start properly otherwise. Use --console if you want it to log to the screen rather than a logfile.

What does the MySQL log say about your problem? I seriously doubt that this is empty.

Have you remembered to edit the config files for your environment prior to starting the server?

ubergeek85
20-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Hmm, ok, running mysqld-nt.exe --console give a crap load of 0's, then this:

;InnoDB: End of page dump
081020 15:55:35 InnoDB: Page checksum 1575996416, prior-to-4.0.14-form checksum
InnoDB: stored checksum 0, prior-to-4.0.14-form stored checksum 0
InnoDB: Page lsn 0 0, low 4 bytes of lsn at page end 0
InnoDB: Page number (if stored to page already) 0,
InnoDB: space id (if created with >= MySQL-4.1.1 and stored already) 0
081020 15:55:35 - mysqld got exception 0xc0000005 ;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=0
read_buffer_size=65536
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 32000
K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

thd=00000000
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
006CDEA6 mysqld-nt.exe!???
The manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin>

Also, since reinstalling it, whenever I turn on my comp, it give me an error saying that mysqld-nt has stopped working. I'm beat. And to top it off, I installed Firebird to get around the MySQL problems, and phpBB can't see it! (Yes, I enables the right extensions in php.ini). Damn these infernal machines!

Edit: Also, windows tries to start MySQL as a service with the following command:

mysqld-nt --defaults-file="[Long path which I can't be bothered typing here]\my.ini" MySQL5

And I see the clock's gone LHC on us.

Erayd
20-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the overall goal you're actually trying to achieve here?

Hmm, ok, running mysqld-nt.exe --console give a crap load of 0's, then this:<snip />Is that actually what you ran? If so, you forgot --standalone.

Also, since reinstalling it, whenever I turn on my comp, it give me an error saying that mysqld-nt has stopped working. I'm beat. And to top it off, I installed Firebird to get around the MySQL problems, and phpBB can't see it! (Yes, I enables the right extensions in php.ini). Damn these infernal machines!Where, exactly, did you download MySQL from?

Edit: Also, windows tries to start MySQL as a service with the following command:

mysqld-nt --defaults-file="[Long path which I can't be bothered typing here]\my.ini" MySQL5Irrelevant, unless you forgot to configure it properly - you should be editing my.ini for this. That file is generally well-commented, and should be easy enough to understand. If you have questions about it, feel free to ask here.

And I see the clock's gone LHC on us.Blame the ffbm server admins...

ubergeek85
21-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Out of curiosity, what is the overall goal you're actually trying to achieve here?

Just a sandbox setup really.

Is that actually what you ran? If so, you forgot --standalone.

running mysqld-nt --console --standalone gives the same thing, and to be sure, I ran it from an admin prompt.

Where, exactly, did you download MySQL from?

Why, only the official site, www.mysql.com.

To be honest, I think I should just give up now.

somebody
21-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Try that Microsoft link I posted earlier, and see if you have any luck with that.