PDA

View Full Version : AMD CPU upgrade advice

Richardd150
15-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Good afternoon all.

I looking at upgrading by AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core AM2 5000+ cpu to the AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core AM2 6400+ cpu.

I think I'm right that as they're the same socket type the 6400+ will fit ok. Where I get a little confused is around the "manufacturing tech CMOS" - The AMD site says 5000+ comes in 65nm or 90nm SOI, but the 6400+ come in 90nm SOI only.

Does this make any difference to whether or not the the 6400+ will fit my board or not?

I suspect I'll also need to upgrade my power supply as well. Not sure of the details but it came in an E521 Dell and currently seems to run 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives and a radeon x1950 pro PCI-Ex16 graphics card ok (the previous card was the x1300 that came with the system).

Any suggestions for a better (around $50.00 or a little higher) PSU?

Thanks y'all.

sammo450
15-10-2008, 01:17 PM
You could just O/C the current one? It's never too late to learn. CPU that is.

Richardd150
15-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmmm...... Maybe someday, but at my current skill l'm happy with keeping it vanilla:) . Thanks for the advice!

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2008, 01:23 PM
It would pay to check if (the current BIOS) will support a 6400, or see if there's a BIOS update first, (that supports the 6400) if you do decide to change the CPU.

Otherwise, if the current BIOS doesnt support a 6400 and you buy one, you'll have to swap the CPU again (to the old one), then flash the BIOS, before you can use the new CPU

pctek
15-10-2008, 01:25 PM
the 6400+ come in 90nm SOI only. Does this make any difference to whether or not the the 6400+ will fit my board or not?

I suspect I'll also need to upgrade my power supply as well. Any suggestions for a better (around $50.00 or a little higher) PSU?

No.

$50?!! Not really. Any decent quality one will be more than that.

Richardd150
15-10-2008, 01:54 PM
The Dell website has got new BIOS listed for download but very unhelpfully do not list any information on what the BIOS version supports. Grrrrrrrr....

Next time, building it myself.

SolMiester
15-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I dont think you will realise much of an improvement going from the 5000 to 6400......http://tinyurl.com/3uxjp8

Perhaps some more memory?......

Richardd150
15-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks SolMiester, that advice is good enough for me:thumbs:

I have 2 gigs DDR2 667 (if I haven't transposed some numbers), and 2 spare memory slotss, any recomendation for a new configuration?

SolMiester
15-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks SolMiester, that advice is good enough for me:thumbs:

I have 2 gigs DDR2 667 (if I haven't transposed some numbers), and 2 spare memory slotss, any recomendation for a new configuration?

Well, why is it you feel you need a faster CPU?. What O\S are you using?...2Gb of RAM is plenty in almost all cases except maybe Vista 64 where 4GB+ allows it to stretch its legs a bit.

If any CPU upgrade is undertaken, I would go for an X4 Phenom......though without trying you could probably clock the CPU up to 6000+ levels for no money at all, as it is no long a dark art!

Richardd150
15-10-2008, 08:23 PM
A little remiss of me not to post more info! I run Vista home premium and use my system for general home use and a lot of gaming, but not hard core, I just like to escape from reality now and then.

I guess I'm trying to chase the holy grail of "future proofing" my system by doing ad hoc upgrades. I thought having cheaply upgraded my graphics doing the same with the CPU was a natural step - maybe not.

Update on my ram, it's actually only 533 NOT 667. I may look at upgrading that and leaving the rest alone (according to the manual it'll take up to 800).

I certainly will look at overclocking but it may be important that my 5000+ is not the black edition, which is all I've been able to find info on so far.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I've got the same CPU as you Richard, but running 800 ram. And 4 GB

I dont think it'll be the black edition. Those are the CPU's you can OC right?

I think these apply mostly to the triple and quad-core CPU's

Agent_24
16-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I've got the same CPU as you Richard, but running 800 ram. And 4 GB

I dont think it'll be the black edition. Those are the CPU's you can OC right?

I think these apply mostly to the triple and quad-core CPU's

Black editions have unlocked multipliers, but a CPU doesn't have to be unlocked to overclock it.. you can still just raise the FSB like usual

JJJJJ
16-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Don't waste money by just upping your cpu a fraction. You will be unlikely to notice any difference.
You will probably need a new motherboard and new ram too, if you want better performance.
A $50 psu ! $350 would be closer.

"Future proofing". No way!

Richardd150
16-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Don't waste money by just upping your cpu a fraction. You will be unlikely to notice any difference.
You will probably need a new motherboard and new ram too, if you want better performance.
A $50 psu ! $350 would be closer.

"Future proofing". No way!

Yes, I was middle aged and foolish when I wrote of my desire to future proof - I feel much older now!:o

So, I've decided to keep the current processor and do some research on its potential for over clocking...... living on the edge I tells ya!

Anyone prepared to give an opinion on whether I should get more 533 up to get up to the 4g mark or would I get a better result from simply replacing my current 2g 533 with 2g of 800?

SolMiester
16-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, I was middle aged and foolish when I wrote of my desire to future proof - I feel much older now!:o

So, I've decided to keep the current processor and do some research on its potential for over clocking...... living on the edge I tells ya!

Anyone prepared to give an opinion on whether I should get more 533 up to get up to the 4g mark or would I get a better result from simply replacing my current 2g 533 with 2g of 800?

Well, you could increase the RAM, however I doubt you will notice much of a difference. RAM doesnt really speed up a PC as such, but with more resources (RAM) the PC can feel snappier, to swap from one app to another, but unless you are using all your current RAM........??

Richardd150
16-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, you could increase the RAM, however I doubt you will notice much of a difference. RAM doesnt really speed up a PC as such, but with more resources (RAM) the PC can feel snappier, to swap from one app to another, but unless you are using all your current RAM........??

Ah SolMiester, you save me money at every turn:cool: At the moment my PC idles at 1500 but I have no idea what it drops to during games. I guess that as the games aren't slowing down then the processer must be holding it's own.

Thanks for the pragmatic advice.

SolMiester
16-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Ah SolMiester, you save me money at every turn:cool: At the moment my PC idles at 1500 but I have no idea what it drops to during games. I guess that as the games aren't slowing down then the processer must be holding it's own.

Thanks for the pragmatic advice.

No worries....however.....I was thinking........could add 2 x 2gb RAM modules and use the 4Gb as a RAM drive....Vista pre fetch would love to use that for the swap file...

Something like this (http://tinyurl.com/22jkol)

edit....if you wanted better gaming performance....we could spend some money there too!

Richardd150
17-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions SolMiester, but in the meantime I've decided that as my PC is good enough to run Fallout 3 I'll not mess with it, until next month at least:)

PENTIUM
17-10-2008, 06:16 PM
My observations show a significant increase in the MEM-86 test score going to 800 DDR2 from 533.