PDA

View Full Version : 2 XP Installs?

minster
15-10-2008, 12:15 AM
A friend asked me to look at his laptop tonight as it was very slow.
It has a 40 gb HD partitioned into one (C) at about 32gb and the other (E) is only about 5gb.
Both HDs have their own Program Files and Windows folders and also Documents and Settings:)
Drive (E) has only 400mb of space free,drive (C) has 29gb free:eek:
Adding new programs/downloads all go to (E) by default.
Apparently he took it to a PC shop a while back to do some work on it and believes they must have set it up like that:badpc:
Question I have here is what will happen if I was to use Partition Magic to bring the C drive back to 40gb?
Seems logical that 2 lots of Program Files, Windows etc won't be happy living together but he is not happy about agreeing to a full reformat.
Anyone seen one like this:dogeye:

Renmoo
15-10-2008, 05:03 AM
In other words, there are two copies of Windows installed on the hard drive? If you decide to bring "together" both partitions, I am afraid it won't merge the two Windows identity.

Reformat, unfortunately, seems to be the best option for your friend. Any ideas why he is opposed to the idea?

Cheers :)

minster
15-10-2008, 07:48 AM
He is like so many others that just turn it on and as long as it goes (albeit slowly) then why be concerned?
Unfortunately even set up like it is, the laptop is still working:waughh:
This is just the wireless laptop they take away with them so games etc can be played online by his partner.
He's coming to pick it up soon so I'll have a talk with him.
Thanks for your reply:)

pctek
15-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Some PC shop!!

I'd retrieve his personal data and do a complete format and reinstall. Slow can be caused by a number of things, one of them being the bloat that happens with XP after a while. The best cure for that is a fresh install............