PDA

View Full Version : IS MY LUCK CHANGING

KenESmith
14-10-2008, 10:14 AM
For the past week to ten days I have been bombarded- at least twice each day - with e-mail notification that I have won multimillion dollar lottery prizes in Lotteries I haven't bought tickets in, That I am the sole beneficiary of a multimillion dollar estate, or have been deservedly selected to some fantastic British or American Government Grant that for some reason is being administered in West Africa.
I wonder what I have done to achieve these sudden offers of munificence.
Are any others enjoying this unexpected surge in personal good fortune?

or

alternatively is there a new season of Nigerian Scams.

Being an honorary life member of the Society of Sceptics, I have begun replying to these notifications with a simple message of good will

" F*** OFF you THIEVING C****.

Hopefully they may get some idea of how I appreciate having their optimistic messages of good fortune clutter my In Box

wratterus
14-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I hope you put a fake reply email address in, otherwise it will just get worse. They don't care what you say to them.

Best thing you can do is ignore it completley, if you want to talk sh*t to them, create a gmail account or something, don't use your personal email address.

PaulD
14-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Hopefully they may get some idea of how I appreciate having their optimistic messages of good fortune clutter my In Box

All you've done is confirm that your email address is a live one. That'll make it sure to be put in other lists.

KenESmith
14-10-2008, 10:27 AM
What has me puzzled is how they get ones e-mail address

Renmoo
14-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Google "@hotmail.com" should tell you the answer. Alternatively, they try all key combinations in their recipient list so that at least one or more will be a correct e-mail.

e.g. kenobi@geemail, kenobc@geemail, kenobd@geemail, kenobe@geemail etc.

Cheers :)

pctek
14-10-2008, 11:41 AM
One: Look at your spam settings via webmail to configure it better.
Two: Use a spam filter in your email program, Thunderbird has one.

coldot
14-10-2008, 11:54 AM
"What has me puzzled is how they get ones e-mail address"
Ken,
Make a list of everyone & anyone you have ever emailed, then go through and cross off the ones that you can accurately say have always been secure against trojans etc. If there's anyone left on that list, then there's your answer! It needs only one spammer to capture a list of their correspondents.