PDA

View Full Version : Avast and diagnostic tools

kjaada
14-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Is there a "quick fix" for a service person who has got all his diagnostic tools infested
while working on a box with Avast on it.I have seen the problem mentioned on forums
but can not remember a fix being mentioned.

wainuitech
14-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Have them either backed up before hand on another Media so if they get screwed so what - simply put the backup copy in, or have them on a CD/DVD.

kjaada
14-10-2008, 10:40 AM
This is after the event I am talking about.Too late now to back up etc

Driftwood
14-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Did you say you were a service person?

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Disable system restore if its XP.

Use something like malwarebytes / trojan remover. And scan with both

Whatever its doing or done probably affects most virus scanners (if it killed Avast).

I would use trojan remover first to see what it can find (this isnt as easy to infect or stop, since it changes names, so malware would have a hard time trying to disable it). Then reboot then use malwarebytes

gary67
14-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I keep all the latest install files for all my programs like that on an ext drive so I can re install them on any machine at any time and then keep a spare copy on another drive just encase something like this happens

kjaada
15-10-2008, 04:44 AM
I think I should elaborate;
This lappy went to a workshop because device manager had been wiped some how
After running their diagnostic tools they were found to be "infected" by Avast NOT
by viruses,I have seen this problem mentioned somewhere and wondered if there was
a quick fix.The boy who did the job was a bit distraught as he did not follow proper procedures and knows what he should have done but it is too late for that now.
I suspect the problem is fixed now.

DeSade
15-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Your not talking about Avast - the virus scanner thats in Gary67's sig are you?

kjaada
15-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes that is what I was talking about and the problem is solved:
Funnily enough there is a new post above about something very near the same.
It appears that AVG detects some other AVs and posts false virus positives.

DeSade
15-10-2008, 02:39 PM
I am a little confused here, and sorry for the hijack.

Is there a problem with Avast?

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2008, 02:48 PM
No it sounds like AVG is detecting programs as viruses etc, / false positives

Sounds similar to Avast, it detected Bejeweled, The Suffering (a game), and Area 51 (another game) as trojans. All were FP's and all have now been fixed.