PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Hard drive partitioning

aidanmaz
14-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I was taught to always seperate the Windows and data storage, in computing.Never actually followed it, but decided i would now. I have a laptop with a 55.8GB hardrive (small yes) should i seperate the hard drive into 2 partitions (System and Data)? if so, how big should the System be?

Blam
14-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Probably around 27-38 gigs, depending on the amount of programs you install and how much of documents, music and photos you have

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I wouldnt bother if its only 55gb.

Depending on what else you install on it, it may fill up pretty fast

Blam
14-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I wouldnt bother if its only 55gb.

Depending on what else you install on it, it may fill up pretty fast

True-maybe you should U/G your HDD?

Its prob IDE and you could get a new one off TM pretty cheap

Thebananamonkey
14-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd seriously leave partitions alone unless you have a much larger HDD. They're a pain in the proverbial, trust me.

They're a good idea, but I've found they're just annoying in practice.

wratterus
14-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd seriously leave partitions alone unless you have a much larger HDD. They're a pain in the proverbial, trust me.

They're a good idea, but I've found they're just annoying in practice.

x2

Although Gparted makes it easyish to resize after Windows is installed, it is still a pain.

And if you have a manufacturers recovery partition, it can be useful as they normally only touch the C:, and leave everything else alone.

SolMiester
14-10-2008, 10:29 AM
ermmm, I dont have any idea why anyone would think a partition is annoying?

I partition drives on every pc I build and for business lappy's also.

With a 55 Gb, I would give yourself a 20Gb sys drive and the rest for Data.

For the users Doc's and Setting, redirect them to the Data drive. Image the sys partition and keep the image on the Data drive, update monthly....Bob's ur uncle!!

pctek
14-10-2008, 11:44 AM
ermmm, I dont have any idea why anyone would think a partition is annoying?

I partition drives on every pc I build and for business lappy's also.

With a 55 Gb, I would give yourself a 20Gb sys drive and the rest for Data.

For the users Doc's and Setting, redirect them to the Data drive. Image the sys partition and keep the image on the Data drive, update monthly....Bob's ur uncle!!

Exactly. Cut and Paste the MyDocuments folder, that way the reg entries get updated. Rather than just copying it.

My C: is 20GB.
Used space 3.7Gb.

SolMiester
14-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Exactly. Cut and Paste the MyDocuments folder, that way the reg entries get updated. Rather than just copying it.

My C: is 20GB.
Used space 3.7Gb.

Didnt think you could cut and paste My Doc's, thought you had to use the move function?

Bantu
14-10-2008, 12:14 PM
oops