PDA

View Full Version : PC Can't See Second Hard Drive and Boot Up Issues

robortiz59
14-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I have a current situation where my PC doesn't see my second hard drive. But, I have been having some other issues that, I suspect, have led up to this point.

A little system background: The PC is running XP. It has 2 hard drives. The original, is a Maxtor. It is mapped as the C: drive. The operating system and some data are stored on C:. I installed a second hard drive, a Seagate, a couple of years ago. Its mapped as the F:. The second drive has data on it. It has worked flawlessly for a couple of years, up until 2 days ago. I also have 2 optical drives. One is a DVD drive, and the other is a CD-RW drive.

The C: drive is set up as the Master hard drive. The F: drive is the slave. Currently, Windows doesn't "see" the F: drive at all. It doesn't show up in Explorer, My Computer, or the Device Manager. However, when I check the BIOS setup (I think I'm using the right term here) it still shows up in the system setup. I have taken the drives out and verified the connections are still tight on both of them (I thought, perhaps, the plug had come loose on the F: drive).

Now for what I believe are clues:

1) For a couple of weeks, the system has been trying to automatically install updates every day. After trying to do the update, I got an error message saying it could not complete the install. Even as I am writing this, I have the Update icon sitting in my tool tray waiting for me. Apparently, it will continue to attempt to install the update until it is successful.

2) A few days ago, I needed to install a new application: Garmin Training Center. When I plugged in the CD-ROM to do so, the CD-ROM drive didn't work. Not sure when it stopped, as I don't use it too often. I went to the Device Manager and both the CD RW and the DVD drive were X'd out. So I uninstalled and reinstalled them both. This did the trick, and the both started working again. But, right after I did that, Windows started having problems with F:. At first, the drive was still listed in Explorer. But, when I clicked on it, it didn't show any of the disk's content. Shortly after that, the drive stopped showing up altogether.

3) Shortly after F: stopped working, the PC started having boot up problems. It is taking up to 15 minutes to boot. It just hangs on the XP splash screen. Once it finally boots, it works normally - except I can't see F:.

So, anybody have any ideas? I'm wondering if I inadvertently changed something when I uninstalled/reinstalled my optical drives. The F: drive worked perfectly up until that time. Also, what would cause the initial problem with the failing update installs?

Thanks,
Rob

gary67
14-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Some times it can be a corrupt download, ave you tried turning off auto update and then downloading the updates manually from MS website. Also I would do a hijack this scan can be downloaded for free and post the results here for someone like Speedy Gonzales or Wainuitech to have a look at

wainuitech
14-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Try this - With the PC turned Off, unplug the Optical Drives, Connect the F Drive to the Optical Drive Ribbon- boot the PC (no Optical Drives) and see if the F Drive is now showing.
You may have to change the jumper on the F drive if it doesn't show in this configuration, but try it first set to slave.

If it does show when connected to the Optical ribbon, put back on the Main HD ribbon (still no Optical Drives) and see if it now shows - if it does, connect 1 device at a time,rebooting and see if it drops at any stage.

Regarding the Windows updates - sometimes updates get "Stuck" - Download Dia-A-Fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Dial-a-fix.shtml) - tick all the boxes, or the double green tick at the bottom and run the program. Reboot and then manually try updating windows (Start/All Programs/Windows Update)

PS: Welcome to Press F1 :)

Edited: just read Trevs answer- good point, make sure the Windows Firewall in the control panel is turned OFF - seen that stop many a windows updates - think MS would have got that right :waughh:

Trev
14-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Sometimes a firewall can stop the updates from D/L properly.
:)

robortiz59
14-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the Hijack This Log File:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:23:18 PM, on 10/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINNT\CDProxyServ.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\qw.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBkLogOnHook] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\LogOnHook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoTransfer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe" /auto:TivoTransfer /registry /service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoServer] "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TivoServer.exe" /registry /service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DriverUpdaterPro] C:\Program Files\XPC Tools\Driver Updater Pro\DriverUpdaterPro.exe -t
O4 - Startup: Show Desktop.scf
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download web site by Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlpage.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {739E8D90-2F4C-43AD-A1B8-66C356FCEA35} (RunExeActiveX.RunExe) - hcp://system/RunExeActiveX.CAB
O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - hcp://system/StartFirstControl.CAB
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FE2DB241-3000-4F92-9773-B156651DDA97}: NameServer = 4.2.2.1
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINNT\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Plug and Play Device Manager ($sys$DRMServer) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\$sys$filesystem\$sys$DRMServer.e xe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: XCP CD Proxy (CD_Proxy) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\CDProxyServ.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINNT\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: TiVo Beacon (TivoBeacon2) - TiVo Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe

I'll try swapping the drive ribbons and let you all know what happens.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2008, 08:52 AM
You've got the Sony rootkit.

Dont know if thats good or bad. (probably bad)

If youre not using anything that needs it, uninstall it / remove it

Uninstall all versions of Java, yours is out of date, then update it. Link below

Tick this entry, then tick fix checked

Close browsers

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

robortiz59
25-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.

I've think I've confirmed my hard drive was indeed bad. As I was working through all the suggested steps below, the drive started intermittently making very loud noises when it spun up. It clearly had some sort of internal mechanical failure going on. It was so loud my wife, who was in the next room at the time, asked what was going on. And, when I disconnected the bad drive, my boot up time went back to normal. I guess the boot up was hanging while the system tried to access the drive.

As suggested, I've removed the rootkit, and upgraded Java.

I now have a new issue I would appreciate some feedback on. I bought a new Hitachi hard drive and installed it. Its set as the slave, just like the Seagate that went bad. When I booted the PC after install, the BIOS picked it up perfectly. But, I'm having a problem formatting it. I am able to go to Disk management, select it, and kick off the formatting process. It takes a little over an hour to complete. I can see the percent complete number ticking up until it hits 100%. But, when it gets to 100%, it flashes an error message saying something like formatting error or formatting unable to complete. After this I can see the drive in My Computer/Explorer. But, when I try to access it, it says the drive is not formatted. Any ideas on what I should do differently?

One other piece of information that may, or may not, be relevant. This PC - a six year old Gateway - has some design constraint that limits hard drive capacity to something like 120 gig. I can't remember the exact number, or what the constraint is. It may be the BIOS, or something to do with the motherboard. I can't remember how I figured this out when I installed the Segate drive 3 years ago, but I did determine there was no way around the limit. When I set up the formatting now, and create the partition in the new drive, it defaults to a size around 150 gig. Is it possible that my issue is related to setting up a partition larger than the constraint?

Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 06:49 AM
So, how big is this Hitachi hdd you installed??

And have you checked to see if there's a later BIOS update that may fix this limit?

Altho theyre no longer in business are they?

robortiz59
25-10-2008, 08:56 AM
The new drive is 160 GB. Sorry if I can't remember the details, but I remember determining that there was no way to make a change that would eliminate the capacity constraint.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Do you know what the model of this PC is??

You could try getting something like PC Wizard (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php)

See if it can tell you WHAT the mobo is in the case. Then it maybe easier updating the BIOS (if there's an update)

Altho if the BIOS can see ALL of the hdd, it may not be a BIOS issue

SolMiester
25-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Are the IDE controllers set to AUTO detect?, they should switch to LSA for the big disks.

robortiz59
26-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I figured out the formatting issue. Posting it here so it may help anybody else encountering a similar issue. I found the fix on the Hitachi web site, in the Support section. The new drive was set as a UDMA 6 drive. Some older PCs can't support UDMA 6, which I understand refers to the transfer rate of the drive. (Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.) The drive needed to be reset to operate as UDMA 5. I had to download a disk utility application from Hitachi and use it to reconfige the disk. I reset it, and was able format the drive with no error messages. Its now working perfectly.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Umm you could be right.

Most of the older pc's I had, only went to / supported DMA 4 or 5.

I thought Windows (well XP didnt support DMA 6). I had read that XP was going to support it tho.

Guess I was wrong, when I made this system up, as the SATA 2 hdd in this, supports DMA 6.

Cant say I've seen an IDE hdd that supports DMA 6 tho.

SolMiester
26-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I figured out the formatting issue. Posting it here so it may help anybody else encountering a similar issue. I found the fix on the Hitachi web site, in the Support section. The new drive was set as a UDMA 6 drive. Some older PCs can't support UDMA 6, which I understand refers to the transfer rate of the drive. (Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.) The drive needed to be reset to operate as UDMA 5. I had to download a disk utility application from Hitachi and use it to reconfige the disk. I reset it, and was able format the drive with no error messages. Its now working perfectly.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help.

Thank you for letting us all know the fix..:thumbs: