PDA

View Full Version : Speedy Gozales and WainuiTech

Lurking
13-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Us oldies are very fortunate to have these 2 gurus to help solve our numerous problems.

Speedy, this url became my home page: http://sina.co.cn/ and thanks to your advice, going into safe mode and running hijackthis was able to delete it.

Never heard of the site and wonder how it was able to get through the number of blocking software left on this pc, is amazing.

Machine has Firefox also and wonder if this is better than IE7.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 04:30 PM
That makes 2 of us, I've never been there, or heard of it

It depends on HOW it came to be your home page.

Someone may have installed something, or saved an email attachment. Then double-clicked on it.

Which made it install in the background (without you seeing it)

There's a lot of ways, things can install on a system without you knowing.

And if youre inquisitive, (not saying that you are), and you click on anything and everything, that pops up), and you run attachments in email, that'll make things worse

People have their choice of browser. I dont mind using any browser. Just as long as it works, it takes me wherever, it doesnt crash, hog the CPU / memory

wainuitech
13-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Just adding to what speedy said - sometimes just visiting a web site, if the site has been hijacked, or something " fishy" is going on your home page can change - what you need in the antispyware program is something that will stop the home page changing - Spyware Terminator (just trying to remember the setting - I dont use it myself to protect the home Page)that has the option to stop a page being changed unless you request it - I think.

One other way pages change is when a program/update is installed most people just click - Next/Yes and agree to install all sorts of rubbish. Most programs will have a custom/advanced install option, if it does, use that, as its then you can see whats actually being installed and you can disable features - tool bars come to mind.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Also, at the mo, you are prone to being watched and heard, if youre not careful, by using flash.

Its called clickjacking, or something, where someone (if you dont disable mic and cam access), once you click on something that uses flash, whoever may see and hear you. Adobe know of this flaw, and are in the process of fixing it

Lurking
13-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for that.

Spyware terminator is active on this machine and I always remove the cookies listed. One that seems to be there always, is DoubleClick and Statcounter.

Lurking.

bob_doe_nz
13-10-2008, 07:53 PM
FYI, Sina is a Chinese news site. Think NZherald or CNN but much bigger and messier

Lurking
13-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks Bob_doe, never go into NZ Herald or CNN. Probably a Chinese hacker no doubt no pun intended!, only word in English was Google in a little box to the side!.

Lurking.